Garmin GPS128 - is it the internal battery? (Again!)

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Garmin GPS128 - is it the internal battery? (Again!)

Postby Nick » Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 pm

The machine fires up OK and finds a position quickly enough, but says 'lost all data' and has to have comms reset to NMEA/NMEA (from the default GARMIN/GARMIN) each time.

The internal battery was replaced in early 2007. Is it time for another one?
- Nick 8)

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: Garmin GPS128 - is it the internal battery? (Again!)

Postby cpedw » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

It sounds like it but you could try leaving it powered up for a day or two in case there's a rechargeable battery somewhere in there that's run flat.

There's software (Gardown is a name I vaguely remember) that can save/restore all your waypoints on a PC with a serial port. Too late now but for next year...

Derek

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue May 01, 2012 12:38 pm

The GPS is on the same fuse as the gas alarm, so there is always power to it when we are living on board

(although we switch it off at the machine's own on/off switch - would this cut the power to the internal battery or not? )
- Nick 8)

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Nick wrote:.
The GPS is on the same fuse as the gas alarm, so there is always power to it when we are living on board

(although we switch it off at the machine's own on/off switch - would this cut the power to the internal battery or not? )

I don't know for sure but I expect the power would be supplying any battery whenever connected, irrespective of switched on or off.

Derek

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

I presume you switch the gas alarm circuit off while not on board. (I know I do - its consumption is not trivial.) During this time the GPS will be getting no power and the internal battery will slowly run down. That said, it should re-charge when connected to power with no issues provided the off period wasn't too long. I try to switch mine on a couple of times during the winter so the maximum time off power is 2-3 months: I have no idea what the sensible maximum time should be - this is something that is curiously undocumented.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks Dave. Looks like it might recover during the Chents Cruise . . . if not, I'll replace it.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed May 02, 2012 12:18 pm

When I fired up the Garmin on Seminole at Easter it came up with "no **** input" where **** is something I can't remember.

It came up with the same thing several times untill I just left the thing on and it started looking up each satellite in turn. I left it (forgot about it) to do what it had to do. In the middle of the bleeding night it started alarming so I switched it off and went back to bed. It worked OK after that.

I think it's a 120 but it could be a 128, do they do a 120?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Wed May 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Yes, if a GPS seriously loses the plot it can take many hours for it to get back up to speed. I have a number of old / backup GPS units that I fire up every few months to keep them sorted out. Those with batteries now have rechargeables which I also check and charge at the same time.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm

DaveS wrote:Yes, if a GPS seriously loses the plot it can take many hours for it to get back up to speed.

The problem, as you probably know, is that a GPS set needs to know, for obvious reasons, which satellite is where in the sky. It knows this from ephemeris data which it receives from the satellites and which is regularly updated if things change When it's been out of use for a long time, or when it has forgotten its internal settings, it needs to download the entire ephemeris again, a bit at a time, and that's what takes a-g-e-s.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:44 pm

It's done it again, but 24hrs switched on didn't cure it so it looks like the hand held backup will be brought into service until I can decide what to do.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:50 pm

aquaplane wrote:It's done it again,.

Your post prompted me to check my Garmin GPS 12 portable. Found the 4 AA batteries stone dead. It didn't auto locate in the usual time scale with a fresh set of batteries so used the option to tell it that it was in Scotland and it then found it's location quite quickly. It still remembers my waypoints so the internal battery must still have a charge.

Ash

Edit I gave the internal battery a hard time back in 2010, but it seems to have survived - link - http://www.bluemoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5535&hilit=Garmin
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:42 am

There seems to be an odd discrepancy with internal battery life across the 128 population, and elsewhere.
My 128 came with the boat, so I can only guess it's about 15 -ish years old. It's not had a new battery in my (10 year) tenure and still has all it's marbles. Might I suggest using the best quality replacements available, rather than the 'value' offers found on the Chinese Web. Also, perhaps it would be wise to use a mounting clip to hold the battery rather than applying excess heat when soldering if that is a skill you only use occasionally.
Having said all that, my Nasa navtex seems to ravage memory batteries, and it has gone gobbledegook again after a couple of months of lying fallow. It came alive OK when asked, but I treat it as a warning that the battery is on it's way out.
The sibling weatherman bought at the same time, and powered from the same source, has never faltered.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:46 am

My GPS 12 did the same. It was the Internal battery that had one too many charges. DON'T try to solder in a new one. They explode when too hot. My kitchen ceiling will testify to that. I was very lucky to have turned away at the time it went off. You wouldn't believe the bang that can come from a small 2032 NiCad.
If you are replacing the battery by a battery holder that comes with wires attached. They are easy to solder.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:00 pm

You were lucky Ian. I remember you posting at the time.
I tend to scoff at people who get suited, booted and goggled when presenting a basic experiment (or whatever) on TV, but your incident puts things in perspective.
The nearest thing I had to your kitchen incident was trying to rejuvenate a tin of black boot polish that had gone crumbly, by melting it on the cooker. I didn't melt, just exploded (electric cooker -no gas) and made a hell of a mess.
I got it clean before she came home.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:19 pm

sahona wrote:You were lucky Ian. I remember you posting at the time.
I tend to scoff at people who get suited, booted and goggled when presenting a basic experiment (or whatever) on TV, but your incident puts things in perspective.
The nearest thing I had to your kitchen incident was trying to rejuvenate a tin of black boot polish that had gone crumbly, by melting it on the cooker. I didn't melt, just exploded (electric cooker -no gas) and made a hell of a mess.
I got it clean before she came home.

I realise how lucky I was. 10 seconds before it went bang my face was 12 inches from it trying solder it. No glasses of course.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”