Up it goes

How things work, what's hot and what's not
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Up it goes

Postby ash » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I probably spent longer (4yrs) considering the do's and donts of the job in my mind than actually doing it, but I am satisfied that it is now stronger and more water tight then it ever was.
Hope you approve Ash! :nod:
C_W

I do !!, and I'm sure that you're right in that you've bettered the original. Well done, you're obviously good with your hands.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Started the starboard side yesterday and have cut nearly two days of the job time already.
Now that's progress.
C_W

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

What oil?

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri May 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Both strakes now fitted, plugged and the plug excess cut off and all strakes sanded, for info I used a Veritas taper plug cutter to make 216 plugs, bought it of Ebay and must say it is one of the best buys ever.
The strakes got their first coat of oil this eve, but I am now concerned that I might have jumped in too quick and not asked the pannels opinion on suitable oils.
I used castrol rx super but dident like the smell of it.
Kidding of course.
I used Danish Oil, what do the forum oil experts reckon,will it be ok?
I have also managed to draw all the stancion basses and reseal them in between working on the strakes.
Hope to be in next wed/thur.
C_W
PS wonder if the Tate would be interested in the plug scrap wood as a work of art! :)

Mark
Old Salt

Re: What oil?

Postby Mark » Sat May 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Both strakes now fitted, plugged and the plug excess cut off and all strakes sanded, for info I used a Veritas taper plug cutter to make 216 plugs, bought it of Ebay and must say it is one of the best buys ever.
The strakes got their first coat of oil this eve, but I am now concerned that I might have jumped in too quick and not asked the pannels opinion on suitable oils.
Kidding of course.
I have also managed to draw all the stancion basses and reseal them in between working on the strakes.
C_W
PS wonder if the Tate would be interested in the plug scrap wood as a work of art! :)

I haven't got a useful comment, but what an excellent post. (We need a FB style 'like' button.)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat May 05, 2012 10:03 pm

I used Danish oil and pure tung oil all over the place, but it is a bit fragile and will be taken off by a fender or mooring rope rubbing gently. We only use it inside and the wheelhouse now - great for a quick wipe to freshen up, but it won't last outside I'm afraid - sorry !
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sat May 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Gosh Bill looks like I could be for ever touching it up then, bloody bought a half gallon of it :(
What did you use instead of Danish oil then?
Thanks.
C_W

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Both strakes now fitted, plugged and the plug excess cut off and all strakes sanded, for info I used a Veritas taper plug cutter to make 216 plugs, bought it of Ebay and must say it is one of the best buys ever.
Kidding of course.
C_W

And I bet you have all the grain running the same way on those plugs.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I used Danish Oil, what do the forum oil experts reckon,will it be ok?

Is that the same as Deks Olje? I find that DO works better than anything else on exterior teak. It doesn't work well - it needs redone at least annually - but it's still better than anything else.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 am

ubergeekian wrote:
Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I used Danish Oil, what do the forum oil experts reckon,will it be ok?

Is that the same as Deks Olje?.

Not really - Deks Olje appears to me to be a very thin varnish - it's got a stickyness and spoils grp when it runs.
Danish oil is more of a delux melange of exotic oils, Tung being prevalent - you can smell it's nuts.
Pure tung oil 'builds' quicker than Danish, but I suspect it doesn't penetrate as well.
I start off with Danish until the colour and sheen are even, then top up with Tung as wear tear and weather take their toll.
The above is for indoors only. I can't find anything that works outside, so have bare wood everywhere except the 'bannister' rail round the poop deck...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 pm

sahona wrote:The above is for indoors only. I can't find anything that works outside, so have bare wood everywhere except the 'bannister' rail round the poop deck...

Thanks for the Deks/Danish explanation.

I am in the fortunate position of being able to prove with science that nothing works long term on teak outside. When Colin Jarman had her, Sailing Today did a comparative test on Jumblie's teak using half a dozen different coatings. I spent two cheerful days last year - six years on - scraping off every last vestige of them. None of them had survived intact and all of them looked horrible.

Bare wood for me too, with an occasional rub down with teak oil to while away a sunny afternoon calm.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”