Up it goes

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Up it goes

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:39 pm

After 5 wks with the new mast lying partly assembled beside HB the rigger came today and finnished the assembling.
News from him is that the shiny new Selden double spreader will be getting stepped in the morns morn. Yipeeee.
Sadly I have spent 3 long days already with aprox 2 more to go removing the old rubbing strake and preparing for the new 30x60mm Iroko strake, it is the pig of a job I had been afraid it would be and put off for 4yrs.
BTW thats only one side :(
Would she look auffy bad with a new strake on one side and the old one on thother for 1 season?
Otherwise I will miss the scuttlebutt wk end.
C_W

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Up it goes

Postby wully » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:45 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Would she look auffy bad with a new strake on one side and the old one on thother for 1 season?

Who's going to be looking at both sides of your boat at the same time??

You've had a very stressful winter so I recon you need some sailing time- you can do the other side next winter.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:18 pm

wully wrote:
Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Would she look auffy bad with a new strake on one side and the old one on thother for 1 season?

Who's going to be looking at both sides of your boat at the same time??

You've had a very stressful winter so I recon you need some sailing time- you can do the other side next winter.

Agreed, Only way you will see both sides is from Directly ahead so I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone will be looking at your new mast anyway so they wont notice the rubbing strake. Get her back in for the SB weekend. Otherwise you might miss the Summer.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Mast now up and looking good, now to clean the decks :shock:
Guess you are right lads, get her in.
Mind you that is the usual direction other folk see her from. Dead Ahead :lol:
Thanks.
C_W
Btw Ian will you be at the SB wk end?

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Use it for a season & you may not be able to tell them apart . . . :D

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Btw Ian will you be at the SB wk end?

Planning to be. Surely it will get a bit warmer. Great news about the mast.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 pm

I did one strake/side on the corribee years ago, and never got round to the other. Possibly the wood is still in stock somewhere...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 pm

sahona wrote:I did one strake/side on the corribee years ago, and never got round to the other. Possibly the wood is still in stock somewhere...

Go the whole hog and paint the two sides of the boat different colours. Lots of possibilities for fun and games with the collision regulations, or even with collisions.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:04 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
sahona wrote:I did one strake/side on the corribee years ago, and never got round to the other. Possibly the wood is still in stock somewhere...

Go the whole hog and paint the two sides of the boat different colours. Lots of possibilities for fun and games with the collision regulations, or even with collisions.

The first dinghy _ a graduate - I bought, was exactly liker that . Yellow on one side and blue on the other - I assumed it was a racing ploy and painted it dark blue all over to confuse the guys looking for the 'sudden' yellow hull at the gybe mark.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:34 am

Day Mellon's last boat for her round the world jaunt was like that. B&Q orange one side and the French equivelent the other, I think it was bleau

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:20 pm

That was my exact thoughts today so have now decided to do the other side before launching.
That's 5 long days on the port side and I still have the plugs to cut and fit plus a quick sand and oil.
Planning on changing the method slightly for the other side.
A difference of night and day between the two sides, the old strake was aprox 12mm thick and rotten mahogony while the new one is 30mm thick and Iroko, Oh and only one joint as opposed to 2 joints on the old one.
A couple pics of new rigging and strake.
C_W

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:27 pm

She's looking good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see that you decided to replace all the bolts through the joint. I didn't say anything on t'other thread, but I was a bit concerned - not for the security of the rubbing strake, but for the strength of the hull / deck joint.

Getting the holes in the new strake to line up with the old holes in the fibreglass couldn't have been much fun.

Well done.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Not exactly the way I done it Ash.
As explained on top post, the original bolts (91) were through the wood and grp but were loose due to wood swelling shrinking several times over the last 30yrs and they let water in, also they would not have been effective in clamping the deck overlap to hull joint.
Once the wood and old bolts were removed I drilled new holes (81) in a single row through deck overlap and hull grp only. then using 6mm button head machine screws with monel and neoprene washers I bolted the two laminates together tightly.
I then routered out a groove on the back side of new strake to clear the heads of these machine screws, several coats of varnish applied to the back of new strake, I then drilled recessed holes and clearence holes in it and pilot holes through grp and used No12 self tappers (81) to screw the new strake on, the self tappers obviously go through both laminates as well.
I only applied a heavy bead of sikaflex to the upper back mating face of strake as I discovered that the sealant applied to the lower section of old strake served to trap water behind strake which accelerated the rot, and allowed the water to stream inboard along the loose bolts
The back of the old strake was also rebated (like a L) so the lower edge tucked in against the hull under the bottom edge of the deck overlap this part of the strake was rotted to pulp, again because water getting behind at the top got trapped at the bottom, (dirt grime etc)
I dident rebate the new strake which gives the lower back section a nice clearence from the hull and allows any water getting in at top to drain out as quick.
Now to cut and fit 80 plugs before starting the other side.
I probably spent longer (4yrs) considering the do's and donts of the job in my mind than actually doing it, but I am satisfied that it is now stronger and more water tight then it ever was.
Hope you approve Ash! :nod:
C_W
Last edited by Clyde_Wanderer on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm

ash wrote:She's looking good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You've done a marvellous job there Eamonn. Beautiful.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Shard wrote:
ash wrote:She's looking good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You've done a marvellous job there Eamonn. Beautiful.

Thanks Donald.
C_W

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”