Coppercoat and weather conditions

How things work, what's hot and what's not
RabT
Midshipman
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 am
Boat Type: Long keel

Coppercoat and weather conditions

Postby RabT » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Hello,

After scrapping old antifouling back to fibreglass and sand it with a 120 grade sand disc... I am ready to apply epoxy and then Coppercoat this weekend if the forecast remains rain-free.
The problem is that I am in Scotland’s west coast and temperatures are forecast to be between 7-12C, which is at the lower end of the “suitable” conditions.

I have contacted Coppercoat and they have been helpful with a few tips. Their message is that albeit the conditions are within the suitable range, just, if possible is better to wait until later in March or April when it should be warmer and drier.

Forecast is for dry weather but temperatures are expected as a minimum of 7C at night and 12C max during the day from Saturday to Monday.

Forecast 1

Forecast 2


Lift-in date is scheduled for Sat 7 April with the Club (i.e: low cost). I could wait and do a marina launch and mast step up at a cost of c£200 if I don’t get another weather window before Club lift-in date.

Question is: has any forumite applied Coppercoat (and the epoxy they supply) in conditions such as forecast this weekend in the Clyde area?

What would forumites that have applied Coppercoat before do?
Wait for better weather and ensure a 100% perfect application, or use the weather window this weekend even if it is at the lower end of suitable range?

Will it make a difference in the number of years the epoxy and Coppercoat will work efficiently?

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance.

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland

Re: Coppercoat and weather conditions

Postby ash » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi Rab

Sorry, but I don't have any experiences which would help you.

You've obviously put a lot of work into getting the bottom of your Vega ready for Coppercoat.

It would be a shame to waste that labour, and the cost of the materials if it doesn't adhere becaused of the lowish night-time temperatures.

Missing your club lift in would be expensive too.

Could you drape something round the boat overnight to form a 'tent' which could be kept slightly warmer overnight using oil filled radiators of some sort.

Don't know if this would be heavy enough - http://www.screwfix.com/p/general-purpose-sheeting-4-x-25m/71880

Hope that it goes well, and look forward to seeing you on the Clyde this summer.

Ash

PS - Hope that you got your prop fixed OK.
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

RabT
Midshipman
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 am
Boat Type: Long keel

Re: Coppercoat and weather conditions

Postby RabT » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Ash,

Frustrating as it is, I am going to wait it out and hope for better weather in late March or early April... 'hope' being the operative word.

I have invested too much money and weekends to risk a sub-standard application now so resigned to wait until a better time comes. Hopefully I will get the benefit of it when I am able to be on the water most of the time for years and sail throughout the winter months too.

Prop was fixed, currently awaiting parcel back.

Can't wait to be out this year, planning to sail across to Northern Ireland at some point during the summer, my target is 1,000 miles during the season, carrying forward 7 days holiday entitlement at work from previous year... that keeps me going! :nod:

Are you on the water?

User avatar
ash
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Tarbert, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Scotland

Re: Coppercoat and weather conditions

Postby ash » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:51 pm

RabT wrote:Hi Ash,

Are you on the water?

Mistral has remained afloat in Kip throughout the winter, and is insured to be in commission for 12 months a year, but I haven't used her. In fact, she's been a bit neglected this winter. My season finished early due to work and weather and I seem to have lacked enthusiasm throughout this wet winter. I'm impressed by how much you've achieved throughout the winter. I'm hoping that we can have a few days aboard around Easter.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold


Return to “Gear and Gadgets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests