Mast climbing

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Re: Mast climbing

Postby Pete Cooper » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 pm

wully wrote:I had one of those mast ladder things that go in the luff groove. The soft foot loops were a bit of a pain to get your feet into and not very comfortable to stand in once at the top of the mast.

The Deffee ladder goes in the luff groove but has rigid treads not soft loops.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Pete Cooper wrote:
wully wrote:I had one of those mast ladder things that go in the luff groove. The soft foot loops were a bit of a pain to get your feet into and not very comfortable to stand in once at the top of the mast.

The Deffee ladder goes in the luff groove but has rigid treads not soft loops.

Can't remember the name of the one I had. I think I owned it for 12 years and used it twice. Never used the climbing harness to go up the mast yet...and I'll probably bribe someone else to go up if the need arises..

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:31 pm

wully wrote: Never used the climbing harness to go up the mast yet...and I'll probably bribe someone else to go up if the need arises..

My plan is to hit an adult crewmember (NOT The Boy) over the head with my Boatie's Frying Pan and then ask Will's pal in the helicopter sling to check the masthead as he's passing.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 am

Mr Geek,

A reasonable plan but I spot one flaw- what if something is needing doing up there? Mr winch is going to have his hands full with your concussed crew member whom, if you've assaulted him properly, will be in no fit state to work.

If I was in the clyde I'd be tempted to spend a day in Bowling canal basin- the bridge there is of a decent enough height that you -depending on your mast and careful mooring- will allow you to work on it off the bridge.

But I'm happily not in the Clyde so will have to stick to bribery.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 am

wully wrote:A reasonable plan but I spot one flaw- what if something is needing doing up there?

Slip him a fiver to do it on the way up.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”