Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

How things work, what's hot and what's not
ubergeekian
Old Salt
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

Postby ubergeekian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:27 am

I'm planning to replace Jumblie's exhaust elbow this winter, as the inner pipe was looking a bit frail last spring. There are stainless replacements sold on eBay, though you can get them for a lot less if you buy direct. There have been some disparaging comments on TOP about the grade of stainless used, but at less than half the price of a Yanmar mild steel part it seemed worth a punt ... it can't last less than a mild steel one, surely?

So the order went in and the elbow arrived within a week. The first one. There was a manufacturing flaw in it which I pointed out in an email to the maker/seller. He sent out a free replacement within a day or so, which has now arrived. My overall impression is very high: the material is satisfyingly thick and the welding is very well done. One of the mounting stud holes is rather close to the weld, which will require a little care on assembly. I'm not going to fit it till the spring, but so far it's looking good

http://www.exhaustelbow.com is the website, and if you buy direct it's $92 including shipping, for which paypal took £60.03 from my bank account. Marine Power charge £153.09 (including postage) for the Yanmar original.

Only a customer.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

spuddy
Master Mariner
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:35 pm
Location: Cinque Ports
Contact:

Re: Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

Postby spuddy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:09 pm

If it equals the life of the Yanmar job then its got to be worth it, like you say. Keep us posted how you get on with it but I might get one to keep in stock anyway - funny how something less than a hundred quid can almost be an impulse buy but when it goes over I'm more likely to procrastinate.

User avatar
Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1107
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:00 pm
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30
Location: Clyde

Re: Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 pm

I would suggest using a Socket head bolt in the hole that is close to the weld, this will prevent a hex head getting damaged by a ring spanner or socket slipping off.
That is if you can get acess with an Alen key.
C_W

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

Postby ubergeekian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I would suggest using a Socket head bolt in the hole that is close to the weld, this will prevent a hex head getting damaged by a ring spanner or socket slipping off.
That is if you can get acess with an Alen key.
C_W


That's a neat idea. It would mean removing a stud from the head, but I think it's one that I had to fit to the new head myself, so it may not be too tight, yet. The clearance beside the nut shouldn't be too bad - it's just that one side of the base of it may be slightly raised by sitting on the weld. I'm thinking that a copper washer might squash down and take up the irregularities.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

FullCircle
Old Salt
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:41 pm

Re: Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

Postby FullCircle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 am

ubergeekian wrote:
Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I would suggest using a Socket head bolt in the hole that is close to the weld, this will prevent a hex head getting damaged by a ring spanner or socket slipping off.
That is if you can get acess with an Alen key.
C_W


That's a neat idea. It would mean removing a stud from the head, but I think it's one that I had to fit to the new head myself, so it may not be too tight, yet. The clearance beside the nut shouldn't be too bad - it's just that one side of the base of it may be slightly raised by sitting on the weld. I'm thinking that a copper washer might squash down and take up the irregularities.

You might suffer some torque drop off with a copper washer.....

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 1:48 pm
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Stainless exhaust elbow for 1GM10

Postby ubergeekian » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:59 pm

FullCircle wrote:You might suffer some torque drop off with a copper washer.....


True, but it would be easy enough to check regularly. Those nuts are so lightly torqued anyway that I used the head swap as an excuse to buy myself a wee 3/8" drive Norbar torque wrench - my 1/2" drive one didn't go low enough.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor


Return to “Gear and Gadgets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests