Outboard pre season tinker.

How things work, what's hot and what's not
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Outboard pre season tinker.

Postby aquaplane » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I have got some fresh fuel and got the Johnson 6Hp off Carousel going, not bad since it hasn't done anything since last June in Largs. I even had the water pump impellor out and had a look at it, it's fine.

While the wheely bin was full of water I thought I would have a go with the Mariner 2Hp off the tender. I can't pull the starter :shock:

I haven't done anything yet, still thinking of a way forward.

Trying to turn the engine by winding the prop round will probably bust the shear pin with any sort of force.
Removing the plug and squirting some WD40 in there could help?
Anything else to try before I start a major strip down?
A job for another day, a family roast dinner to cook this PM.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Re: Outboard pre season tinker.

Postby Arghiro » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Some ideas;
Remove plug & add some diesel. Try rocking the flywheel to & fro to see if you can to free it off.

Kettle of boiling water on the head (plug in hole!) & try again.

As a last resort;
I once gave a long time seized motor to a friend, he took the head off, put a lump of wood on the piston & belted it one to free it off. That engine is still running 6 years on. But a bit drastic if it is just a condensation seize over this winter.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Outboard pre season tinker.

Postby aquaplane » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 pm

It turns out not to be such a big deal, well not as big a deal as it usually is for me.

After having a cuppa, I took off the recoil starter and put a socket on the big nut on top of the timing gear, it moved without any drama, the WD40 down the plug hole must have helped a bit :D

I gave it a few pulls, put the plug in and it fired up after about 3 pulls :D

I managed to get the main halyard sheve from the mast head fitting moving too, lots of white crysaline muck was jamming that up. It was well jammed even after removing the roll pin that it is supposed to spin round.

I never got anywhere near polishing Carousel's hull but that can wait for another day.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”