Awe Nuts, a corrosion topic. Marcon boats?

How things work, what's hot and what's not
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Awe Nuts, a corrosion topic. Marcon boats?

Postby sahona » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:45 am

It all started with a bit of localised condensation after a frosty night. Something was damp in there.
Removing and re-sikaflexing the shroud through-deck "U" bolts is the standard fix, so in we went...
Of four nuts removed on the port inners, two were cracked right though, and one was the wrong thread*.
The cracked ones were welded but one cracked in another flat immediately.
There was some pitting on the mating face of the nuts, and that's where the cracks started, unsurprisingly.
The boat was built in '78 by MARCON but had obviously been fiddled with* over the years, so it could all be down to poor maintenance.
Procuring 7/16" BSF stainless nuts seems to be limited to classic bike restorers, so I'm trawling the net.
Main reason for this post is that there may be lots of boats out there with this problem - undiscovered until you remove the nuts or they remove themselves.
As to root cause - I suspect the SS plates between the nuts and the ply backing pads are not as closely related 'metallurgically' as they should be. I'm going to paint the plates with Duralac before fitting my new nuts.
Should see me out...one way or the other.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Re: Awe Nuts, a corrosion topic. Marcon boats?

Postby Rowana » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Try these people for stainless fastenings -

Gee & Gee Supplies The Greens, Mintlaw, Peterhead AB424UZ T: 01779821622

The guy is very helpful, certainly when you go in person, and he's quite happy to sell you one nut or bolt if that's what you're after.

I'll be going up there in a few weeks for a few bits for myself. It's that time of year again.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 am

Rowana wrote:Try these people for stainless fastenings -

Gee & Gee Supplies The Greens, Mintlaw, Peterhead AB424UZ T: 01779821622

The guy is very helpful, certainly when you go in person, and he's quite happy to sell you one nut or bolt if that's what you're after.

I'll be going up there in a few weeks for a few bits for myself. It's that time of year again.

Aye bit fa's gaun tae translate fae the doric intil inglish fir those thit dinnae bide in Buchan?

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 pm

I spent some time in Mannofield opposite the waterworks, where Wee Wullie Winkie allegedly lived in one of the towers, so I shouldn't need the no doubt outrageously expensive services of the local interpreter thanks!
I've sourced new nuts from one of the classic mobike restoring places, but not the expensive one.
Thanks for the info though, I'll keep a note of the place and brush up my doric.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”