MR16 bulbs

How things work, what's hot and what's not
johnsmithhere
Midshipman

MR16 bulbs

Postby johnsmithhere » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 pm

I long decided to change my bulbs for something eco-friendly, but was a bit afraid that LEDs - which appear to be the best solution - are not yet stable enough due to the young age of the technology. Just now I found this Toshiba light, and I am actually looking to replace a couple of MR16 bulbs: http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/277-toshiba-led-lights/362-toshiba-4.5w-mr16-led-light-12v-gu5.3.html
Do you have any experience with these, or any other LED lights? This looks like a large investment, so I don't want to buy something unreliable for this price.
Thanks

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: MR16 bulbs

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:03 pm

johnsmithhere wrote:Do you have any experience with these, or any other LED lights? This looks like a large investment, so I don't want to buy something unreliable for this price.

These should be fine in the accommodation, and good value if the lifespan is actually as stated. We fittted 240V LEDs in the bathroom last year (Zenigata 4W at £20 each, lifetime of 15 years allegedly) and two have gone within 14 months.

The only cautionary tale I have re. 12V LEDs is from the time we tried to replace the masthead tricolour bulb in our Aquasignal 80 with an LED from Ultraleds. It interfered with the VHF and we have to give up on it in the end.
- Nick 8)

johnsmithhere
Midshipman

Postby johnsmithhere » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Nick, I have high hopes here because it is actually Toshiba offering three years warranty, not even LEDcentre. Also, according to the description, these can be used with any battery or transformer, which is not true for most low voltage LEDs. So, hopefully they'll do well.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 pm

I have replaced my bulbs with leds from http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/ which was quite easy - but not cheap.

The upside is that I have confidence that I can manage battery consumption much better.

The warm white's are also very easy on the eye - and I have my wife's permission to say so!

Regards
Donald

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Nick wrote:These should be fine in the accommodation, and good value if the lifespan is actually as stated. We fittted 240V LEDs in the bathroom last year (Zenigata 4W at £20 each, lifetime of 15 years allegedly) and two have gone within 14 months.

As I understand it the leds have service lives of tens of thousands of hours but it is invariably the drivers which fail first.
different colours made of tears

johnsmithhere
Midshipman

Postby johnsmithhere » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Silkie wrote:As I understand it the leds have service lives of tens of thousands of hours but it is invariably the drivers which fail first.

Exactly why I'm hoping a Toshiba would give a better quality.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”