Antares Charts

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Mark
Old Salt

Re: Antares Charts

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:30 pm

I got the 2011 charts today.

Last year I got the feeling he was hoping a pilot book or something might buy the charts from him. No idea if anything like that's happened.

http://www.antarescharts.co.uk/

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:45 am

I run Macs and would be interested to know if anyone can work out how to get the Antares charts into OpenCPN. I can open them and see them in GPSy, but I'll need to shell out $40 to see my GPS location for more than 15 minutes, and it won't be integrated with OpenCPN which is, for me, the point.

I found a solution for converting raster charts to BSB, but it involves manually inputting the lat and long of three known points which I guess I can do if I'm really energetic - but I was hoping for something easier.

The Raster->BSB conversion software is here.

For those who don't know, Antares charts come in Garmin and non-Garmin flavours. The non-Garmin ones are .prj, .tfw, and .tif files.

Has anyone found a workaround?
---
Shuggy

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:55 pm

For what it's worth, I've started to convert all the ones of interest and have them loaded in OpenCPN now. I guess there's a long road ahead! It's actually not that easy to get 3 reference points on each chart and match the OS and vector chart points to provide lat and long datums.
---
Shuggy

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”