Amazon Kindle

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Amazon Kindle

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Amazon have just brought out a new improved version of their Kindle E-book reader. I want one but I can't afford it until enough of you have bought one through the link above :hat :nurse
- Nick 8)

JackJ
Able Seaman

Re: Amazon Kindle

Postby JackJ » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Nick wrote:.
Kindle E-book reader. I want one but I can't afford it:nurse

Jings!
Less than £150 and you can't afford it !!!
Cripes!
Take it out of petty cash and put it down as an essential business expense. Easily justifiable to your C.A. given the business you're in.
Solved.
You're welcome.
JJ
:tiphat:

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:00 pm

I like paper books, they look nice on the shelf and don't need batteries.

Paper is a long lived format too, I can't see anything that's about now lasting more than 10 years.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:24 pm

aquaplane wrote:I like paper books, they look nice on the shelf and don't need batteries.

Paper is a long lived format too, I can't see anything that's about now lasting more than 10 years.

I like paper books as well, but a decent e-reader is ideal if you are travelling or short of space. These devices (the Sony E-reader or Kindle) use electronic ink - they are not backlit, so it is like reading a book not a backlit screen.

Your books are centrally backed up by Amazon - you can download a new copy to any future incarnations of the device.
- Nick 8)

JackJ
Able Seaman

Postby JackJ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm

The problem with the Kindle is its a one-trick pony and heading for the great recycle bin in the sky.
Why/
Well for only a few quid more you can buy an i.pad....which can do so, so much more.
Not only read books off it but also watch films, play games, surf the net, email, word process etc .... and a million and one apps etc etc.
Buying a Kindle now is the same as buying two tin cans and a piece of string.
JJ

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm

JackJ wrote:Buying a Kindle now is the same as buying two tin cans and a piece of string.

Any more great tips for future watchers J?

Sorry, but you are wrong on this. Stick to day trading.
- Nick 8)

JackJ
Able Seaman

Postby JackJ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Why do you think I'm wrong?
My logic is simple.
Kindle only provides one function.
Exactly that function is to be had on an i.pad., but, for a few quid more, the i.pad gives you hundreds of extra functions. So, when travelling or living aboard, with an i.pad all your needs are covered in one piece of kit.
If you go down the Kindle route then you'll need a laptop, a moblie, and a cd player as well.
Kindle may have been a good idea before i.pads came out. Not anymore. Most Kindles bought today will be languishing in a forgotten drawer in twelve months time as people realise how revolutionary the i'pad is.
Put simply you are wrong to be considering a Kindle, a very poor decision. (said in the same spirit as your post saying I'm wrong, the difference is you gave no justification for saying that).
Hard and software become redundant very quickly in the IT world. Kindle is one such, glaring, example.
Oh; what's day trading got to do with the price of milk? I work for a charity, although I do like to invest spare cash in interesting propositions (as I've offered here in the past) sometimes, but only small amounts and for the long term. I'm not rich enough to be a day trader..
JJ

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:18 pm

1) The iPad costs a lot more than the Kindle. (Like three to four times as much, not 'a few quid')

2) The iPad weighs more than twice what the Kindle weighs. The Kindle is a lot more comfortable to read from for a long period of time than the iPad.

3) The iPad is difficult to read from in direct sunlight.

4) The Kindle has a much longer battery life - important on a yacht with limited power available

It is probably also worth pointing out that Kindle is a platform more than a hardware device. Kindle books will be available for iPad, iPhone, Android and many other applications.

However, if you prefer an iPad then you can CLICK HERE to buy it from Amazon - we look forward to receiving the commission on the sale.
- Nick 8)

JackJ
Able Seaman

Postby JackJ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Fair enough.
You want to be able to read a book.
I want to be able to do much more (and an i.pad can cost only a very small amount more, about £300 to be precise, hardly worth a second thought really).
Horses for courses then.
Thanks for your link to buy an i'pod. Bit late, I bought mine a couple of weeks ago hence my enthusiasm for the device.
BTW your prices are a tad excessive !!!!!!
£80 cheaper at the applestore and free postage (and in stock)
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/s ... UK_iPad-UK

Expanding a bit. I view the whole Kindle scenario with despair.
1. Small, local bookshops struggle to survive as it is. Kindle etc could be their death knell.
2. Amazon have signed monopoly digital publishing contracts with six publishers already. Where will that lead?
3. Love the feel, smell and look of books.
4. What a beautiful sight a full bookcase is; a record of one's literary life.
5. Kindle users will lose the sociability and joy of lending a book to a friend.

Half a dozen books take up very little cabin room and, once read, can be swapped with other yachties for a new book to read. One of the joys of the pontoon.
I reckom Kindle will just make folks more insular.
I.pad is part of the same story.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Yes, for us Ancients, the tactile presence of a book goes far beyond its written content. I collect books & have a library of around 350 sailing books. Some of them are well over 100 years old. They carry a memory of former readers in their turned down corners, foxed & annotated pages & stained covers. They are a pleasure just to handle & smell - never mind read!

Your Kindle will be in a skip in 5 years time & the software outdated & the stories unreadable by the new software - unless it is very different from other electronic media. Got any 8-tracks? Or Betamax, or Standard 8 cine?

Yours, an electronic Luddite

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Amazon aren't known for their business stupidity or lack of foresight. We'll see.

Meantime, for you I-people here's an important announcement from Steve Mobs . . .

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGIn9bpALo[/youtube]
- Nick 8)

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm not saying they lack business sense, but that they will update the HW & SW on a regular basis. In 5yrs I'll bet you will not be able to use either the HW or SW you are buying today.

Sorry if the Simpsons clip was relevant, I can't watch videos on my B/band link. I'm too far from the exchange & civilisation to get adequate speed for videos.

Mind you Steve J needs loads of mugs, sorry, I meant customers, to fund his Americas Cup campaign, so keep buying & I willl enjoy watching the racing

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Arghiro wrote:Mind you Steve J needs loads of mugs, sorry, I meant customers, to fund his Americas Cup campaign, so keep buying & I willl enjoy watching the racing

I wan't aware that Steve Jobs is backing an Americas Cup campaign, thought it was Larry Elison of Sun Microsystems. What team is Steve Jobs involved with?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Gardenshed wrote:
Arghiro wrote:Mind you Steve J needs loads of mugs, sorry, I meant customers, to fund his Americas Cup campaign, so keep buying & I willl enjoy watching the racing

I wan't aware that Steve Jobs is backing an Americas Cup campaign, thought it was Larry Elison of Sun Microsystems. What team is Steve Jobs involved with?

Steve Jobs is Larry Ellison's best mate, but not a sailor AFAIK. If he was we would have had the Iboat by now.

Here's the real Steve Jobs introducing the iPad:

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MI99t9k4aEE&feature=related[/youtube]
- Nick 8)

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Sorry, I thought he was CEO of Oracle - as in BMW-Oracle. But why should I let facts get in the way of a good rant anyway?

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”