What Gas

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

What Gas

Postby Daveanmucker » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Last year I converted Dark Island to Butane from the camping Gaz, I had thought that the bigger bottles would give me a size problem in the aft locker, however with a little engineering it worked out quite well.

The reason I changed was not only the cost but also the availability of Gaz, some outlets I found had stopped stocking it particularily when north of Skye.

I am now wondering why I didn't go for Calor, apparently it won't freeze as easy , sometimes a problem in winter, and I'm told its even more efficient.

Anyone got any advice or thoughts on this subject?
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: What Gas

Postby Silkie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Calor supply both butane in blue bottles (and the same as Camping Gaz) and propane in orange ones. The principal difference in use is that propane is usable at much lower temperatures, down to -40 IIRC, whereas butane struggles at zero celsius.

If you make the change you will need a different regulator and the first size propane bottle is much bigger than the smallest (Calor) butane but most cookers can cope with either AFAIK.
different colours made of tears

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 pm

i think the smallest calor propane cylinder is 3.9kg as opposed to the 4.5kg for butane. the cylinders are physically almost the same size. the weights refer to the amount of gas you are getting, sfaik.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Don't toss the camping Gaz bottles/setup. If you're ever going abroad, you'll want to change back again!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:41 am

Are there any calor butane bottles about the same size as the smaller of the camping gaz bottles ( would that be the 905)? as the CGz is costing £19 odds for the smaller one and I too wouldent mind changing over, but cant alter the locker too much.
Would I also need to change the cooker jets?
Thanks, C_W

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner

Postby Daveanmucker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 am

sahona wrote:Don't toss the camping Gaz bottles/setup. If you're ever going abroad, you'll want to change back again!

Aye I have realised that, I use them in my camper van in any event, but have left a bottle and regulator on board in case of emergency.

What I'm more interested in is the comparative efficiency and lasting time. moving from the Gaz to Butane has seen a great improvement in both.

You don't need to change any burners on your cooker, just the regulator at the bottle.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:46 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Are there any calor butane bottles about the same size as the smaller of the camping gaz bottles

I've got a small (red) calor bottle connected to the heater. I've never used the heater so haven't had to buy a cylinder so don't have any info on it. It's about half the size of the 4.5kg butane one.

Will post more info if I find it.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:55 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Are there any calor butane bottles about the same size as the smaller of the camping gaz bottles
Thanks, C_W

I have a rich selection of calor, Gaz and MacGas bottles in various sizes cluttering up the garage. The smallest calor (blue) one is bigger than the Gaz one, but it has a regulator guard with increases the height. Let me know if it might be of use... I use spirit and have no use for any of these bottles. Are you in the Clydebank yard again?
I have used a now-ditched gas cooker with both calor and Gaz and had no problems with the burners (different regulators, obviously).

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks for the advice Ash and Gordon.
My gas locker is made for the gaz 905 bottle which is smaller than the 907.
Problem is I have about 1 1/2 - 2" free space above the 905, so dont know if the small calor bottle would fit, (Gordon) but I am in Rothesay dock if you could drop it in I could try it.
Probably be mon before I am down there again.
Thanks again, C_W

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Thanks for the advice Ash and Gordon.

Just be careful in case you find an old cylinder which you can't exchange - after my previous post I went googling and found the Calor Site.

I couldn't find anything to match what my (frequently faulty) memory tells me I have.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:11 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Are there any calor butane bottles about the same size as the smaller of the camping gaz bottles ( would that be the 905)? as the CGz is costing £19 odds for the smaller one and I too wouldent mind changing over, but cant alter the locker too much.
Thanks, C_W

I just replaced a Camping gaz 907 for £16.50 at a caravan shop in Irvine. Is this a good price? never had gas on board before now.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:45 am

Booby Trapper wrote: I just replaced a Camping gaz 907 for £16.50 at a caravan shop in Irvine. Is this a good price? never had gas on board before now.

well i paid £13 for 4.5kg calor butane last september so camping gaz appears to be more expensive.

aemonn - if you want to try a butane 4.5kg for size in you locker you can borrow mine.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner

Postby Daveanmucker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:10 am

The camping Gaz bottles are all smaller than the Butane bottles, but they are much more expensive, the price varies I paid more than £19 last year for Gaz last year, £13 for butane and found that some retailers were stopping selling them because of the price, the Ironmongers in Tobermory for one.

With butane you will get more for your money and Butane seems much more efficient, The downer is that they are a bit bigger due to the guard around the regulator and the base it stands on.

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote: I am in Rothesay dock if you could drop it in I could try it.
Probably be mon before I am down there again.
Thanks again, C_W

Eammon, I should be in Clydebank on Monday and could pop round at lunchtime, about 1.30.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the info.
I checked one of the 2 spare bottles in my garage there now, they are 904's which are 200mm dia and 200mm high, so nothing else will fit in my locker, and they only hold 1.81kg gas, and the last one cost me £18 odds at the calor gas place on south st Glasgow, and he wanted to charge me 2 or£3 for the screw cap because I had taken it off the empty.
I think I will make a new locker to fit in next winter, and your size chart will come in handy while doing so.
Thanks for the offer of cylinders anyway guys.
C_W
PS I dont use as much gas now since I stopped stilling the poteen aboard, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”