Who has a pressure cooker onboard

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Who has a pressure cooker onboard

Postby Daveanmucker » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:07 pm

I think that for extended cruising and living onboard for weeks on end a pressure cooker is an essential bit o kit.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Who has a pressure cooker onboard

Postby marisca » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:32 pm

I'd change that to "a pressure cooker is essential for all sailing". I certainly wouldn't be without my hideously expensive French SEB yin. Big advantages over all the Brit ones I could find is it is deep and doesn't have a long handle just two wee ones and never catches when the cooker gimbals about.
Most recipes seem to start with a slop of olive oil and a chopped onion and sort of move on from there. Fill it up before you start and it's simplicity to turn it on when you feel hungry - 10 minutes of hissing does the tatties - I just lob them in when the mince/stew/whatever is deemed cooked.

Now what I want is a recommendation for a whistling kettle - mine disnae whistle any more.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 pm

We carry a stainless steel pressure cooker on board - invaluable.

Mme Telo
Able Seaman

Postby Mme Telo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:53 pm

I thought I'd butt in here as this is one of my faourite subjects. Our pressure cooker is smaller than the normal and it only does for 2 people but we use it nearly every day on the boat. It's Butterfly brand and we got it at Crockets in Glasgow about 6 years ago. It fits in the cupboard and doesn't take up more room than a medium size pan on the burner. I had to send away for gaskets but once I found the right place it was easy enough.

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 pm

How many litres is your butterfly pressure cooker?

I have a pressure cooker but it falls off the stove in rolly seas.

:?:
the other half

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Postby ljs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Well I haven't.
Does it not just do things 'a bit quicker'? Usually find the cooking process, with glass of wine or rum, quite therapeutic anyway. And if the safety valve is dicky, might not the pan launch itself through the cabin roof, destroy the spray hood, and take a couple of feet off the end of the boom?
Suppose it might save a smidgeon of gas. Go on then, convince me.

Mme Telo
Able Seaman

Postby Mme Telo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm

I can't remember the volume offhand but it's maybe half the size of the big ones. Of course it could be a hazard ljs but you are right beside it when it's operating. I don't use one at home because I don't want to hang around the kitchen while the food's doing. It may not save much time or gas for tatties but it certainly saves water and you can't cook mince or stew in anything like 10 minutes without one.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Good thread - at least we now know where the 2-person PCs come from now (been coveting one for a while)
A funny big one came with this boat (screw-down clamp in the lid) and it works well, although it looks a bit heath-robinson and possibly even frightening. At least it doesn't have separate weights to get lost.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:44 pm

My pressure cooker has two valves - the normal one with a removable weight and another to prevent overpressure. Chances of missile launch are pretty slim. Mine certainly does not fall off the cooker and even if it did, it is not going to spread its contents anywhere without the lid being unscrewed first.
Also does superb suet puddings, popcorn and, finally, my tame medic assures me that the "never-ending-mince" (just throw more things in each day until it's a curry) is unlikely to support botulism or any of the other tummy bugs if it is taken to pressure every time.

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:55 pm

There's one sitting on the "help yourself" shelf at Dunstaffnage Marina, in the shower blocks, if anyone wants one.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 am

My cooker is a 'Prefect plus' made in Germany, much easier and safer to use than the old fashioned ones with weights etc. Bit pricey but a good bit o kit.

I too like to cook and of course drink along, but cooking pigs trotters and mushy peas on board would be impossible without a pressure cooker.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Yup.
I have a Lidl special which does not have separate weights to get lost or fly off, plus a safety valve. It fits neatly in the oven when not in use.
As well as normal PC stuff it gets used for heating pre-cooked scoff like curries. Put an inch of water in the bottom then load in the curry container, then the rice one sitting on top. Bring up to pressure and bingo, hot chat.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:00 pm

If one can get to the Lakeland Store in the Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow G1 2FF (no - I do not have the Lat and Long) or Windermere's Flagship store there are two 3-litre pressure cookers. The 3 litre Quick 'n Easy(9"x6.75") for £39.14 with no weights and fully automatic. Or the 5 litre Kuhn Rikon for £88. 08. French onion soup can be produced in 4 and a half minutes and lamb stew in 20 minutes.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Argos do one for a lot less money:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... COOKER.htm
Looks like a bargain at £20.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:15 pm

lady_stormrider wrote:If one can get to the Lakeland Store in the Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow G1 2FF (no - I do not have the Lat and Long) or Windermere's Flagship store there are two 3-litre pressure cookers. The 3 litre Quick 'n Easy(9"x6.75") for £39.14 with no weights and fully automatic. Or the 5 litre Kuhn Rikon for £88. 08. French onion soup can be produced in 4 and a half minutes and lamb stew in 20 minutes.

55 51' 48.70"N
4 15' 09.87"W
Just in the event of anyone trying to sail there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”