Have you ever used a softwood plug?

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Have you ever used a softwood plug?

Postby Silkie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:54 pm

Got up on Wednesday morning, on the mooring, to find the dinghy full of water. It had been raining heavily so I got in and started to bail. After a few minutes I became aware that the bailing wasn't having the desired effect. On closer inspection I noticed a small fountain bubbling up through the hull and removed myself to Silkie.

It turned out that a previous repair had fallen out during the night. At least I assume it was during the night since I noticed nothing amiss when rowing back from the pub...

No problem, I've still got the inflatable and after bailing the hard dinghy several times I discovered what those pencil-slim softwood plugs are for. You may not have any tiny holes in your hull at the moment but you never know what the morrow will bring.
different colours made of tears

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Softwood plugs

Postby DaveS » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 pm

To answer the direct question, yes! In fact I do regularly: the two largest from one of these assortment bags are a nice fit in the bottom end of my davits, and I stick them in to stop the tube ends scratching the gelcoat when they're stowed in the store room (or fore cabin as it's technically known).

Incidentally, this year's successful innovation was to stick a plank across the forecabin door to stop all the junk (aka useful spares) from emptying out in bouncy conditions.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”