Running rigging ~ the gordian way

How things work, what's hot and what's not
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks both, SWMBO will get some bags. Meanwhile the ropes are clean and I have completed my first two braid-on-braid eyesplices. Very satisfying.
For info - We washed the stack-pack (yes, the machine does still work...) and of course as usual it made the canvas all floppy and permeable.
The fix is a product called "decoelast", used for waterproofing roofs in spain. It is thinned with water and painted onto the material, giving a crisp stiff waterproof finish. Problem is, I don't know where to get it in UK.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

theguerns
Able Seaman

washing rigging

Postby theguerns » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Have a look at our blog www.theguerns.blogspot.com
The washing machine in one of the articles has been used for the past 3 years to wash running rigging, wooring lines, crock, deckshoes, cloths, bedding and anything else that we can get into it NO probs we even have a friend that washes all his sheets and running rigging with the shackles on and NO probs
Sal & I live aboard our Colvic Watson 32 in France as we have retired from the channel Islands. I have been sailing for 55 years and Sal for 17 years.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Running rigging ~ the gordian way

Postby ash » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I bought a set of these today - Mesh Laundry Bags from Lidl.

I bought the round ones, but I think that this was a mistake - the wee ones are very wee.

I've got them on test at the moment - the wee ones have the lines from the stack pack and the spinni halyard is in the bigger one. The machine is currently on an 800 spin and seems OK at the moment.

If they look as though they might survive, then I might splash out on the other set with the 2 square bags.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I don't use bags, just stick the warp / sheet into the drum and wash with soap powder, on a hot, 'intense' setting with zero spin cycle. The ropes are then hung to drip dry in a shed. For ropes with spliced on shackles I wrap the shackle in pipe insulation secured with cable ties.

BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 pm

I've just successfully washed my boat lines, braid on braid and 8 plait, using the washing machine. I "daisy-chained" the ropes first. Thinner lines also went into a laundry bag. The daisy chaining prevented tangles, and spread the weight within the drum.

I used the 40C cotton setting, with the spin speed limited to 500 rpm.

I added some 'Vanish' powder to the usual washing powder.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”