Talk me out of it.

How things work, what's hot and what's not
lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:48 pm

[quote="ash"]Oh excrement - I think that we've gone and talked him out of it!! Mind you, he did ask. I can convince myself that my conscience is clear cos if Aquaplane was totally smitten by the Windermere Tiger, with heart overruling the head then he would have ignored us all.

Seriously, I see a major problem for Aquaplane is that he wants to trail. This means that a decent road trailer needs to be included in the deal, or bought separately and they don't come cheaply.

For example, there is one for sale on the VEGA forum, described as a bargain at £1,500 ( the Vega is 27ft and 2300kgs )

quote]

OK Skipper - you had better tell 'The Boys' where we went & what we did this weekend instead of helping me move house . :roll:
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:17 pm

I ran into a bloke who had "the Windermere Tiger" surveyed 2 yrs ago.

He seemed happy to let me have a look at the survey. The trailer is a really good one, which is bad news for me 'coz it jacks the price of the package up. If I'm going to keep a yacht on Windermere having a means to get it out for winter storage is a good thing, even if I don't want to go to the sea, but that's an option too.

I had another look round the boat. I think the chap has been cleaning the outside at least, it don't look quite so unloved. The inside still needs lots of attention and a new head liner. When I have worked out what it'll be worth tidied up, I'll see if he is willing to take what I'm prepared to offer bearing in mind the jobs list.

We won't do anything drastic before the second hand boat show on the Clyde.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:25 pm

aquaplane wrote:We won't do anything drastic before the second hand boat show on the Clyde.

Don't be too disappointed if there is not much to see at the second hand shows. Kip, Largs, Clyde and Troon usually have all the shows on the same weekend. As I'm selling I did enquire at Largs and Troon, they have a minimum £500 commission and Clyde wont take anything below £10K so there may not be much to see at that end of the market.
You should be able to see their brokerage lists online.

Ian

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Ah well, that might be a bit different then. There are still some boats on brokerage that I was going to look at, but they won't be in the 2nd hand boat sale as they were below £10k.

I've been reliably informed that there is a bit of a social scene going on so it won't be a total loss even if we don't see somat to tickle our fancy.

We still aren't in a rush, the First 18 probably won't shift until next spring anyway, but I am in a position to buy now if the right boat turns up at a good price.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:46 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:As I'm selling I did enquire at Largs and Troon, they have a minimum £500 commission

Just had a look at the application form for Kip, and they too are quoting a minimum commission of £500, which at the normal rate of 6% represents a sale price of £8,300. Seems a shame, there used to be quite a number of small boats at the show.

Also seems a bit short sighted, they've already gone to the expense of the marquees, sales staff, etc. What is it going to cost to add the listing of cheaper boats to the brochure.

The normal on line brokerage lists seem more difficult to find now that brokerage services are separate from the marina services.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 pm

ash wrote:The normal on line brokerage lists seem more difficult to find now that brokerage services are separate from the marina services.
Ash

But at Kip the brokerage is part of the marina services - it came back under the wing of the marina when Peters Opal went under last year.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:58 pm

ash wrote:
Booby Trapper wrote:As I'm selling I did enquire at Largs and Troon, they have a minimum £500 commission

Just had a look at the application form for Kip, and they too are quoting a minimum commission of £500, which at the normal rate of 6% represents a sale price of £8,300. Seems a shame, there used to be quite a number of small boats at the show.

Also seems a bit short sighted, they've already gone to the expense of the marquees, sales staff, etc. What is it going to cost to add the listing of cheaper boats to the brochure.

The normal on line brokerage lists seem more difficult to find now that brokerage services are separate from the marina services.

Ash

It is said that, Kip has a large number of entries this year, perhaps they are making the most of the opportunity to make some more cash.
If they make enough, they may even put the doors back on the Toilets!
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Simple really
If you want it - buy it.
If you think you can chip on the asking price then chip - lets face it - times are hard enough for the Accrington Brick Works to shut so its a buyers market.
It is a bloody old boat - the trailer is an impediment in that you already have 2 and nowhere to store it, you'll probably need to get some decent sails etc,etc,
Go there with 5K in cash in a shoebox and say "this is my every last penny - its all I have"

A fiver says he'll take it.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aquaplane

Re: Talk me out of it.

Postby aquaplane » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 am

Made an offer on a Centaur today, it's newer and better equiped but without trailer, lets see what happens.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:43 pm

Good luck!
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 am

aquaplane wrote:Made an offer on a Centaur today, it's newer and better equiped but without trailer, lets see what happens.

A much better choice.
Check the keel to hull joints for signs of movement, check the keel bolts on the inside too.
Good luck.

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Our offer has been accepted. :thumbsup:

Can I interest anyone in a First 18?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Subject to survey or is it a done deal? Congratulations anyway. How about some pics?
different colours made of tears

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:04 pm

It's a done deal. The amount I have paid I can do lots of work, even replace the engine, before it's a bad deal.

The head lining needs doing eventually, but it's tidy enough to live with for now, except the head which will get painted untill the rest is done.

The woodwork would benefit from stripping back and varnishing when it warms up a bit.

Anyroad, I have weighed up what could go wrong and if only half of it does I'll be happy. The thing is, I won't cry and blame someone else if it all goes wrong.

Forgot the pics: here http://uk.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Westerly-Centaur-1856321/United-Kingdom
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

stevebirch2002
Able Seaman

Postby stevebirch2002 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:52 am

Congratulations. Nice boats and will take care of you... Not a Vega but still great fun!

Steve B

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”