New Kit for Mistral

How things work, what's hot and what's not
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

New Kit for Mistral

Postby ash » Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 pm

A couple of photos of Mistral with her new Pack-a-Main, Sprayhood with Graprail, and Dodgers.

These were all supplied by CJ Marine ( apologies to the VAGB ).

The sprayhood and grabrail were manufactured using information which they already had on file. They fit very well, and I'm very pleased with them. I initially was unhappy to lose the original Vega fixings for the sprayhood but when I came to fit it I found that the new fixings are into fibreglass which is at least 20mm thick whilst the originals are into only about 5mm.

The pack-a-main was manufactured to sizes which I sent, and also fits and works well. The lazyjacks are fitted to the mast on a temporary basis using the uphaul for the spinnaker pole, until I can get someone to haul me up the mast, or the mast is unstepped when they will be fitted higher up. I still have to fit grommets for the leech reefing lines.

The dodgers were also made to measure. I still have to sort out the Loch Lomond registration plates, the originals are now hidden behind the dodgers.

http://www.cjmarine.co.uk/

Ash

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Very nice Ash . . .

Postby Nick » Sat May 13, 2006 2:14 pm

She's looking bonny. Now when are you going to put her in salt water?
- Nick 8)

ash
Yellow Admiral

Re: Very nice Ash . . .

Postby ash » Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Nick wrote:She's looking bonny.

Thanks Nick, we're very pleased with her.

Nick wrote: Now when are you going to put her in salt water?

Next season, we hope. We've paid for this season on the loch. The stern gland has a tendency to dump its oil unless I inject grease into it on a regular basis, and I shut off the oil supply when not in use. The Volvo starts fine, and the combi is OK, but the oil pressure light comes on at slow speeds when warm, and if you push her much above 4Knts, the exhaust is pretty smokey. We're saving up so that we can put her ashore this winter, and replace the engine. I would like a reliable, more powerful engine before tackling these tides! I know that Cathy and you have managed fine with the Volvo. This is why I'm interested in your experiences with your engine change, I gather that you've gone for the Beta.

The other consideration is cost, we like the facilities of a marina berth because of the grandchildren, but a berth anywhere near Glasgow will be another £1000+ a year.

Ash

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon May 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Drove past Ardlui this morning and thought about having a shuftie at Mistral but then I remembered what you'd said about strangers on your pontoon and thought I'd better give it a miss.

Just kidding - actually I was a bit pushed for time. Is it possible to stroll down your pontoon or do you have locked gates?
we can be heroes

ash
Yellow Admiral

Visiting Ardlui

Postby ash » Mon May 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Silkie wrote:Drove past Ardlui this morning - actually I was a bit pushed for time.

That was a pity - we were on board until later on this Monday afternoon - we might not have been up ! - depending on how early you were. We use wooden washboards when the boat is locked up, and clear perspex ones when we are on board - and usually wear a red duster when we're up and about.

My top photo in this thread is the view of Mistral from the yard road. The entrance to the caravan park/marina is just north of the hotel, enter and turn south. Follow road past boats on hard, past jetty, past white cottage, over bridge and there are three pontoon gates on your left. we are on the middle one.

The gates are locked, but usually lie open during the day whilst people are on board. You are welcome to have a look - you aren't a stranger ! If anyone challenges you then mention my name - hopefully they know it - we are usually refered to as the yacht or sailorman !

I assume that Loch Lomond isn't your usual route.

I'll send you a PM.

Ash

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”