ST 60 Plastic Paddlewheel

How things work, what's hot and what's not
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

ST 60 Plastic Paddlewheel

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 am

I know there's been loads written but I can't find anything at present. What would you put on your plastic paddlewheel for the speed log to ease the problem of things growing there and preventing it from spinning?

There must have been a clearer way to ask that!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Dunno

Postby Silkie » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:07 pm

.. but when you find out will you let me know?

Having previously anti-fouled my Nasa wheel with a tiny paintbrush and found no significant benefit over leaving it au naturel, I don't bother now. It only lasts 2 or 3 months and then I rely on the GPS. However I'm going to screw up my courage this year and withdraw it while afloat for a mid-season clean! Maybe. :roll:
different colours made of tears

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:23 pm

You're brave!
Regards
Claymore

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:11 pm

You can arrange a square of cloth with dowels along 2 parallel sides (helps to keep the shape I think) and strings from the corners to convenient points on deck. Position the square to cover the log hole. You mark the strings so you know when the square is in position. Unfortunately too late for you this season, assuming you got put in at the weekend, as marking the strings is done while the boat's ashore.

It's not easy to explain verbally but I have done it and was surprised to find that it works, if a bit fiddly to get into position when afloat. I suppose it's also possible that your log may not be well located for this approach to be appropriate.

Not an original idea; I read it first in PBO a few years ago.

Regards,
Derek

Or you can take your courage in both hands, saving one for a big sponge and the other to pull the log out quickly, covering hole with sponge. It doesn't usually let in more than a gallon or so, but it's scary the first time (and a few after).

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:07 pm

I'd read about such a method but it probably wouldn't work with the shape of my hull. Since my keel is encapsulated the log wheel nestles in a "concave" section. One variation on the whip it out quick method that I've heard is to stick your foot over the hole thus leaving both hands free for cleaning. I've also got a proper cover to blank off the hole but a foot is probably quicker.

Nice to meet you at the weekend BTW chemical process engineer!

PS - I think the editor is aff fur the week.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: ST 60 Plastic Paddlewheel

Postby Telo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:06 pm

claymore wrote:What would you put on your plastic paddlewheel for the speed log to ease the problem of things growing there and preventing it from spinning?
The stuff you get off sheep - not wool, gravy, errrmm......., but the other stuff. I've got a huge tub of it. Nice to relax in after a day's hard graft. Would you like some of it?

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:50 pm

Radox?
Regards
Claymore

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:00 pm

claymore wrote:Radox?
Nup. Anusol? Something like that. Lasonil??

Must stop listening to Count Arthur Strong - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_a ... thur_radio

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Lanolin

Postby Telo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Lanacote - sheep in a tub. You're welcome to a little smear of it.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:54 pm

If that's a general offer, I wouldn't mind a small quantity for ..err ..smearing on things. Does it actually work?

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:26 pm

I just use ordinary a/f, but put it on the impeller with a "dry brush" technique, then give it lots of wiggling an hour or two later to free any binding before the stuff sets hard. Once dry, a finger flick should make it spin freely with a "dry rattle" sound, and if it does that I can be fairly sure it will turn freely once in the water.

It does occasionally stop during the season - usually following a weedy anchorage - but I've found that, with the boat under way, slackening the retaining nut half a turn then turning the impeller through 180 degrees and back usually gets it going again (this is one job where having a crew saves a lot of to-ing and fro-ing because they can yell when the log starts reading).

On the last boat I built a "well" round the impeller (a length of 200mm plastic road crossing duct epoxied to the inside of the hull) so that it could be taken out completely without flooding the boat, with just a few spongefuls of water to remove afterwards.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:30 pm

Silkie wrote:If that's a general offer, I wouldn't mind a small quantity for ..err ..smearing on things. Does it actually work?
You're very welcome to have some Sir! As to it's effectiveness, I've nae idea, but I'm trying it for the first time on the paddle wheel and the propellor. I could bring it on the Chentleman's Cruise, and you could probably have enough time to smear it on, in between breaths, after you cowp over off the pontoon.

Thinking about it, don't swimmers have themselves smeared in lanolin before swimming La Manche and stuff like that? This could be an interesting Cruise.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:23 pm

Shard wrote:Thinking about it, don't swimmers have themselves smeared in lanolin before swimming La Manche and stuff like that?

I thought that was bear fat, traditionally. However, in the light of the current UK-wide shortage of bears I'll be happy to try lanolin. TFT.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”