Aluminium setscrews

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Aluminium setscrews

Postby Daveanmucker » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:21 pm

When fitting my mainsail this year, I stripped the threads in the mast on the gate that holds in the runners. I increased the size of the threads and fitted a stainless setscrew temporarily. Understanding that I should change this to an alloy screw as soon as poss.

However on returning to Lancashire I am having difficulty finding aluminium screws, even on the internet having no success.

I am aware that steel and aluminium will react in the threads, was wondering about brass, has anyone any knowledge or experience about this.?
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Mast gate

Postby sahona » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:53 am

I'm in the same boat as you- figuratively speaking. I've ended up with a 9-ishMM hole in the mast after bashing out the remains of what I believe may have been a rosan-press-nut ( a rivet with an internal thread). I'm going to try and make a rawl-type plug out of nylon/plastic so the stainless screw won't gall. It's either that or a butterfly nut which may have to be sacrificed every second season. I'm trying to avoid screwing into the mast again even though I do have almost every chemical anti-corrosion paste known to man, available.
If you must, use stainless (that's probably what the gate is made of anyway), and a non-galling pipe sealant.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Thanks Bill

Postby Daveanmucker » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:41 pm

Will do as you suggest when I get up to Ardfern tomorrow, am sailing north then for a week or two. So havn't time to do anything serious.

However you have given me another idea, I have a small lathe here in Lancashire I will make a set screw out of either aluminium or a nyloc material, when I get back.

Cheers, Dave
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 pm

I made a nylon tapered plug, tapped, and hacksawed a split ( like a rawlplug. Smacked it into the hole really hard, chopped off the excess to make it flush, and hey presto, it is tight on the screw, and cannot sieze.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”