TCM's favourite teak deck cleaner ....

How things work, what's hot and what's not
BigNick

TCM's favourite teak deck cleaner ....

Postby BigNick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:54 pm

..... from Wessex Chemicals is two 1litre bottles in a pack for £15 - good value, eh - so I thought I would order two packs.

Then it is a whole tenner to have it delivered about 30 miles due to the hazardous materials handling costs. So now I have committed to a third twin pack just to get the best value out of the delivery charge !

So if anybody nearby (ChrisE? ParaHandy?) wants to buy some off me, just say so. I could still yet another pack and be within the £10 delivery charge.

FullCircle
Old Salt

Re: TCM's favourite teak deck cleaner ....

Postby FullCircle » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:37 pm

BigNick wrote:..... from Wessex Chemicals is two 1litre bottles in a pack for £15 - good value, eh - so I thought I would order two packs.

Then it is a whole tenner to have it delivered about 30 miles due to the hazardous materials handling costs. So now I have committed to a third twin pack just to get the best value out of the delivery charge !

So if anybody nearby (ChrisE? ParaHandy?) wants to buy some off me, just say so. I could still yet another pack and be within the £10 delivery charge.

Yer daffy blimey Nick. My one bottle has lasted 3 seasons. Just how much rain forest have you got on that enormous ship?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

BigNick goes to work

Postby Telo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Sorry about this, but I have this strange mental image of BigNick......

BigNick

Re: TCM's favourite teak deck cleaner ....

Postby BigNick » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:17 am

FullCircle wrote:Yer daffy blimey Nick. My one bottle has lasted 3 seasons. Just how much rain forest have you got on that enormous ship?

Jim, I dunno the area, but its the foredeck, the side decks and cockpit sole, all are 11years old. I know they havent been cleaned properly for at least the last three, I suspect a lot longer.

The boat was moored in southern Spain where there is lots of airbourne sandy dust which seems to come across from N Africa. This black powder seems to gave got into everywhere, including the teak, I think.

So all in all, I think they are going to take some cleaning - once now and then again later in the summer.

And of course, its real thick teak, not like the stuff you get them BenJenBav's which is a veneer you can wipe with a damp mop !! :D

BigNick

Sorry to drag this up again

Postby BigNick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:18 am

I've got the 6 bottles now, and have been reading the destructions on the website.

it says that any aluminium should be protected from the cleaners, and suggests grease. On 80ft of toe rail, this is going to be a bit of a drag to put on and get off again.

is this really necessary? Anybody done it with out?

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”