Rigging?

How things work, what's hot and what's not
pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Rigging?

Postby pagoda » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:21 pm

We finally bit the bullet and took the mast down for new standing rigging. It's not that old, just 13years. For it's first 10 years (in Kiel) the rig was down every winter, so nothing was tricky about slackening off wire.
I didn't want to put it off as I only aim to do this once (!probably!)
I have talked to a lot of folk and there seems little knowledge of masts falling down all over Scotland. One might expect otherwise, given the hype and insurance under-writers points of view.
Do you know anybody who has lost a mast / had a failure? Outside balls-to-the-wall offshore racing I doubt it happens much?
No confessions required, just some considered comment.

Graeme

PS it's nice to get at anchor lamps and antennas at ground level!

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Rigging?

Postby aquaplane » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:36 pm

The only person who I know who has had a dissmasting experience is a lass who came to crew for me.

She was crewing on a Bavaria (42?) from Lanzarote to Africa with a charter company, as a holiday I presume, and they ended up back in Lanzarote mastless. I know nothing of the conditions when it went pear shaped but am curious to find out whether it was weather or a failure of some sort.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Moody 39, Deb 33, Wayfarer, Wanderer

Postby Mavanier » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm been personally involved in three rig failure incidents, although two were in Wayfarers.
First one was when a clevis pin had been substituted with a split pin and the shroud came free in fairly lively conditions. Mast snapped but was sleeved and put back into use.
Second one was my own Wayfarer, a split ring (it may have been a pin, couldn't say for sure) was lost, causing the clevis pin to come out and the shroud to come free. We were hard on the wind in a race and the mast instantly took on an incredible sideways bend- I'm not sure how it didn't permanently deform or snap. I've never screamed the word "TACK!" so loudly in my life. We threw the boat on to the other tack, rigged up the spinny halyard as a temporary stay, and dowsed all sail. Scary but no lasting damage.
Third one was a bit more serious, we were in a casual race for cruising boats and a big Westerly behind us lost their mast. Sounded like a gunshot going off. We handled the relay duties on the VHF as their handheld wasn't clear enough to reach the coastguard. I believe that a lost clevis pin was the root cause of that failure as well.

So three incidents, all essentially down to the exact same root cause! And nothing whatsoever to do with age or abuse.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:55 pm

I asked about the Bavaria incident. The forestay, or a fitting in it failed.
It wasn't rough or windy, but she didn't answer my question about if they had too much sail up.
The rigging was fairly new so it looks more like poor fitting or a weak part rather than aged worn out bits.
Her main concerns seemed to be the fact that it took 4hrs to get the Mayday answered, and how lucky they were to have no injuries.
I'd prefer to keep the mast vertical so no one gets injured and I don't need to make a Mayday call.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 am

Only aware of 2 incidents, locally, in all the time Ive been sailing round here:

1. WHW. Wooden boat mast snapped .Probably rot/soft wood.

2. Boat re rigged with adjustable back stay on a block and pulley system in place of original tensioning system.Mast inverted and snapped after a couple of hours...probably pilot error.

Close call:

After beating up Sound of Mull- as you do- was standing at the bow after picking up the mooring in Tobe enjoying the view. Glanced down and noticed the forestry Clevis pin under the furling drum Was half way out...no sign of the split pin.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Round Mull Race, Vela and Storm Mhor both lost their masts but on different years. Dinnae ken why.
Year before last, wooden boat with wooden mast on Ashton mooring - forestay clevis pin at hounds.

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Seen 3, know of one other. Out of the 4, 3 were westerly yachts. Not sure that really accounts for anything, other than all westerly boats are well past 10 years old. 2 were at WHYW, when conditions didn't seem that bad. One was Storm Mhor mentioned by Marisca above ( saw her towed back into Bunessan after losing her mast). It was very windy that day on the round mull race.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Our mast came down about 10 days ago and I stripped off all the wire and delivered it to Fairlie Rigging. They are doing the forestay in the yard but everything else in their workshop. Twelve years old it all looks in good shape but I would prefer not to be worrying about it for the next 10 to 15! Everything is Dyform except the backstay & bridle, so new wire all round and new bottlescrews etc - should be back on the boat by mid March I hope.

The through-deck / ball stud connection I discovered, uses o-rings around the 4 bolts to stop water leaks. I anticipated a wad of Sikaflex. There was a trace of white sealant only. Don't know if the water sealing design is a Selden or Jeanneau feature?
It also gave me a chance to renew the VHF cable and the anchor lamp at ground level. Much less hassle than climbing the mast with hand tools!

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”