Anchor bits again.. apologies in advance!

How things work, what's hot and what's not
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Anchor bits again.. apologies in advance!

Postby sahona » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm

We left our anchor behind at Holy Isle during the Summer. It was a 40Lb CQR lookalike with a very long shank attached by SS shackles and swivel.
The swivel broke where the screw/pin at the anchor end went through - probably due to the high leverage at the roller when the anchor started to tilt. (the break revealed a worryingly small cross section of metal at that point)
Nearest marine hardware shop was in Largs and limited to Rocna, so now we are lots of brown drinks vouchers lighter but secure.
My comment is, why do we use SS bits on galvie chains and anchors? I don't any more - as it was pointed out by the nice lady that SS eats zinc as well as being not particularly strong.
We chose a 15Kg and it is now very apparent that you CAN have too big an anchor as retrieval of this one is pushing the 1Kw Lofrans to it's limit! Nice to know we're stuck though.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Burst Boiler
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Bavaria

Re: Anchor bits again.. apologies in advance!

Postby Burst Boiler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Aaah, that was you. I was anchored north and in a bit when you left. You couldn't see the absolutely massive ball of weed you were bringing up. Something had to give.

Burst Boiler
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Bavaria

Postby Burst Boiler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Also, with the rocna, you need to be right over it to break it out if its well dug in. Small bursts of windlass to drag you in the right direction then coast up until you are right on top, then another burst to break it out. If you just hold the up button down from your where you are sitting you'll be pulling too hard from an angle and straining the windlass against an anchor doing its damndest to stay put. I learned the hard way after replacing the motor in mine. Anchor retrieval technique is probably more important with a rocna than anchor setting (since it sets really easily).

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Yep, I've been playing the anchor like a salmon since I added the windlass in 2006 - I know how they can suffer! I think I missed the final markers on the chain and came in a bit fast after the anchor came free. Ho hum.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”