New anchor chain and stuff.

How things work, what's hot and what's not
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

New anchor chain and stuff.

Postby aquaplane » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm

The anchor chain on Seminole is rusty, certainly the end 10-20 meters so I'm wondering about replacing it. I don't know the history of the chain so it could be the original 1982 stuff which on a Jeanneau could be metric or imperial?

I have looked at the gypsy on the manual S/L windlass and can't find any markings to say what size it is, do I have to take it off to find them?

I read that it's better to measure 10 links to get a good average of the actual link size, I presumed this was 10 linear links but can't find out the data to say how long 10 links of 8 or 10mm chain should be.

I don't have a caliper gauge but do have a micrometer and a BnQ tape to measure the existing stuff. There should be some good condition links to get a good measurement off with the micrometer.

So, how do I size my existing chain so the new fits the windlass?

Added complication, an electric windlass is near the top of the wish list, should I get the windlass first? Working out how to mount it so the chain self stacks could take some time, the manual windlass forms an annoying pile which needs spreading out often when recovering the anchor.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: New anchor chain and stuff.

Postby claymore » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 pm

It might be best to get the windlass first Roberto because it will have a sticker on wot tells you wot chain it needs....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:44 pm

But it's such a bleeding faff, can't I just get some chain and research a windlass later?

The ones I have looked at don't say owt about uppy downy buttons, they look like optional extras.
I liked the hand jobie on a curly wire we had on the Sailing Holidays boat.
Are foot buttons good or is there a reason the Lewmar ones are half the price of the hand held remote?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:18 pm

I have sailed a Jeanneau with an electric windlass - I vaguely remember that the hand control was loose(maybe on a wire) but kept in the anchor locker. All well and good until the anchor locker becomes full of water and then you discover that the control isn't as waterproof as it should be so you spend some time stripping, drying and cleaning the device.
I would get the electric windlass first and then chain to suit - saves any gambling with measurements.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:22 pm

I have an up button and a down button
they are up at the bow so I can watch the chain and ease off when i can see the anchor
Ours is a Lofrans and having hand-balled the anchor for around 10 years, its a life (and back) saver.
Order of play
Buy electric winch
fit 2 buttons
buy 50m of the biggest chain that will go on it (ours is 10mm)
keep it serviced
never worry again
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 pm

claymore wrote:never worry again

Did choo iffer find oot whae hid yer anchor?

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”