Claymore's Bits and Pieces

How things work, what's hot and what's not
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Claymore's Bits and Pieces

Postby claymore » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 pm

All this talk by He Who Walks On Water and Shuggingtons of New to new and New to Old and Old from New and New from Old has inspired (not a word I use lightly) to post a few images of the changes that have been inflicted upon ma find shup over the past winter. Starting with the most expensive item of course - the Beta 35 has just had its 50hr service. We are delighted with the installation which was done by the fine enchineers at Ardfern - its as smooth as smooth can be and so quiet.....Image
It came with its own control panel but as I'd had a decent job done some years ago, the fine enchineers managed to integrate the old with the new - this must surely satisfy Shuggs and the Bobster?
Now in the depths of last winter when the Shuggington was prowling round the yard - he saw me ripping out old wiring looms and attempting to replace the switch panel because the circuit breakers were beginning to break - I'd only had it done in 1997 so I was a bit surprised that they were now defunct.
Anyway - having the technical skills of a dead leaf, I recruited the Muzz - Long time friend, ex colleague, wiring guru and all round good egg to put it back together and hence a rather neat looking job
and finally a quick glimpse over at the navigation area which I tidied up - I think my forte is in ripping stuff out but its much better to not be so cluttered and the vhf has been relocated down onto the worksurface (makes it sound like a kitchen)
I'm not sure I've done this too well as there seem to be photobuckets throughout - no doubt - should he read it - Nicodemus will put me straight but there we go - technical incompetence at its very pinnacle....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Claymore's Bits and Pieces

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:59 pm

Chust sublime
- Nick 8)

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:06 am

Is this the future? All those windows but you can't see out for screens!

Derek

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 pm

The front windows are clear - I've even got rid of the Kemp Spinning Clearview thingie - it was right in my line of sight.
The view through the side window behind the laptop is a bit restricted so I just try not to go sideways and that seems to work.....
Regards
Claymore

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

I have one of those nice red things too, a 43, but sadly mine still resides in my shed at home, where it took up residence late in 2015.
The builder of my boat seems to have done so around the engine and I simply can't find a way of getting the red beast in there even reasonably intact.
While I don't mind reducing the outgoing VP MD21B to a box of bits and carrying it up the companionway steps I'm loathe to dismantle the new toy.
So a toy it remains for the moment in the hope that I'll find inspiration one day.
I should possibly have thought of this before buying it.. :)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am

Surely the old Volvo was installed after the boat was built? If so - what went in must come out and what comes out can be replaced with something going in....
Or am I missing something?
Regards
Claymore

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 am

I suspect that it went in before the engine compartment and associated furniture (some really nice teak woodwork that I'd rather not damage) was built around it. Even If I were to drag it forward into the saloon it won't go through the main hatch in a simple lift and although it's a centre cockpit boat with a (technically) removable cockpit floor the engine compartment is a bit forward of that and finished with a bulkhead that bisects the cockpit floor. When it gets really serious and the Volvo expires then I'll just have to get the saws out and get radical but I can't bring myself to do that while the 35 year old lump continues to run like a sewing machine (150 trouble-free hours this season).

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Perhaps you could commission a new boat ? You have a vital component already :)
Regards
Claymore

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”