Plotter Recommendation Advice Please

How things work, what's hot and what's not
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Plotter Recommendation Advice Please

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Hello,

I will be installing a new plotter for next season. I would like a large screen size but that is not too important, it will be mounted in the cockpit on the shelf (not wheel binnacle / console mount) and under the spray hood so is likely to get rained on from time to time. It must be compatible with a future radar system and talking to Raymarine ST60 instruments, ICOM Navtex and my ICOM DSC VHF. Currently no Auto-helm, hence that is not important. What would you recommend?

I will be looking and doing serious research on this by year end but if I can piggy back on others who have reviewed or have experience of current offerings that would help. I have never specified a plotter before, hence my query.

Thanks,

Alastair
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Plotter Recommendation Advice Please

Postby wully » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm not at all keen on network systems beyond the old Wind, Depth , SOG stuff..

The best plotter for my needs is this iPad running Memory Map Admiralty charts with Bob Bradfields Antaries charts. Also on here is a Navionics package.

Its in a Lifeproof case so is totally waterproof.( as is my iPhone with a very old, free , version of Navionics..)

I can use it on deck, down below, in my bunk or at home.

A clamp mount makes is extremely versatile...

Along with all the other stuff available as an app it is hard for me to justify anything else.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”