Anchor connectors - safe?

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Tony Bloomer

Anchor connectors - safe?

Postby Tony Bloomer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:50 pm

I'm nervous. Having connected my chain to a CQR anchor with an "anchor connector" rather than a shackle, I keep hearing now that anchor connectors are dangerous, unsafe, liable to open and generally should not be used. Are they or aren't they?

Alain POIRAUD

Anchor connectors..

Postby Alain POIRAUD » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:42 pm

Unfortunately, they are!..

Nearly all of them (with only a few exceptions, like the Wasi one) have a working (or breaking) strenght much lower that the chain they are connecting to the anchor.. in the straight direction of pull but also when pulled sideway..

Beware too of stainless steel shackle and change them after few years of use
[url]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/POIRAUD/CorrosioncristalineR.jpg

On my own boat, I use a simple rigging toggle to connect the chain to the anchor:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/POIRAUD/FixaHylas2.jpg

Swagman
Able Seaman

Surely it depends on ..........

Postby Swagman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:20 am

.........the style / design / construction?

I've not got confidence in those that look like two shackels swivelling on a big bolt, but I'm happy with the machined jobbies we've got from Osculati and used them on both our past 42 and current 46 footer.

Cheers
JOHN
Read our boring blog at www.yotblog.com/swagman

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:18 am

I changed the galvanized swivel that was attached when I bought our current boat to a stainless shackle.

The jaws on the swivel were showing signs of being pulled open which I wasn't happy with.

As for using a stainless shackle as a replacement - what's the problem using stainless? It's only under water for about 10 hours 30 or so times a season.

Regards
Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:19 pm

I feel that to answer this is to invite bad luck - however speaking from experience - I've used anchor connectors and not had a problem - I check it each season and replaced the last one 3 years ago when I went up to bigger chain.
I suppose that between all the boats that sail there won't actually be a piece of gear that has not at some time failed.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:41 pm

I changed to a stainless shackle when I got Silkie but mainly because the old galvanised one looked a bit disreputable.

If I understand correctly, swivels are for boats with a windlass to ensure the anchor comes over the bow roller the right way down?

One of the many wonderful advantages of a wee boat :) is being able to handle the ground tackle (20lb plough and 1/4 inch chain) without mechanical advantage. Touch wood.
different colours made of tears

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:35 am

Hmm
This is a rather reckless statement and takes no account of, nor pays respect to the advancing of the years.
Its only 3 years since we fitted a powered windlass, my back has not stopped thanking me.
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:30 pm

My back may not be thanking me at the end of three week's worth of 35lb cqr and 10mm chain.....

Powered windlass is on the (long) list.

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:32 pm

Well Donald, when you get to that part of the list that says Anchor winch - be sure and take a tip from someone who knows. Fit both an Up and a Down button. I thought I'd be all manly and just fit an up one at first. Absolutely gormless idea!
Regards
Claymore

Swagman
Able Seaman

Great Article in YM summer 2006

Postby Swagman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:14 pm

I rarely compliment articles in yachting mags but just got back home to read three YM's receipted whilst away - and was pleased to see an article where they tested shackles and swivels against differing chains.

It was quite revealing - too much info to summarise here - but it has led me to review my own set up. Worth obtaining a copy of the article if this subject is still of concern to anyone.

Cheers
JOHN
Read our boring blog at www.yotblog.com/swagman

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”