Integrating new and new electronics.

How things work, what's hot and what's not
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Integrating new and new electronics.

Postby aquaplane » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 am

last year I replaced my Autopilot with a new Raymarine jobbie, 'coz the old one was broken.

Now the depth and log and GPS have packed up, hardly surprising as they are well out of warranty. The speed and depth had a repeaters outside. The GPS was inside and hard to see from the helm.

So the task is to replace the depth, speed/distance log and GPS (with a plotter) and add wind instruments. An added complication which wouldn't come up with a modern wheel steered boat is I have no binacle. Also some stuff needs to be monitored from inside, course and speed, not wind, or maybe depth because I mainly use that for anchoring not navigation.

The current shopping list is all Raymarine, anyone got experience of what goes together without having load of duplication?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: Integrating new and new electronics.

Postby wully » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm

On last 2 boaties I fitted wireless Tactik wind /depth and log. That worked well for me but new owner of previous boat has had a few issues with the wind instrument which I believe is now fixed.

Current boatie came with mix of Autohelm ST50 log / Depth /wind and an ST60 repeater which I suspect was fitted to fill the hole left when one of the original trio of ST50's died..

Autopilot is an old Autohelm Type1 inboard drive and an ancient Autohelm ST something course computer which still works although it does hunt around a lot even at the lowest setting.

There is an old Raymarine radar that still works just fine.

None of the above talks to each other except the AIS and plotter - who let the VHF in on the position data 'cos they are good that way.

I fitted a Raymarine Es7 plotter (and a Digital Yacht AIS transponder. This will mirror the plotter screen on my Eye- Pad in anywhere on the boat.

When stuff dies I will replace with new Raymarine stuff and one day may have all the info on the plotter screen which would be nice. I understand old transducers will work with new displays so that might save a good few quid. I'll keep going with this kit as long as it works.

I'm not up to throwing a whole lot of money at this but am tempted to see if I can get the ST50 stuff to talk to the plotter - but thats a few hundred quid in bits so unless something comes up second hand I doubt I'll bother. Im sure if I try this one or both of the old instruments will die and I'll have wasted a pile of money...

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:00 am

If I'm not too late here's what came with my boat. ST60 wind, speed and depth heads in the wheelhouse and a repeater downstairs which displays any info that is on the seatalk, it also has an NMEA interface which needs a minor electronic tweek to achieve compatibility with plotters (Garmin, Cobra) etc.
I like the masthead unit which gets a little oil on the bearings every two seasons and seems to outlive other makes.
I find the setup works well and would not separate the any of the primary units away from the steering area.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Not done anything yet but will have to get going after Easter.

I'm thinking i50 speed and depth inside with i50 tridata repeater in the cockpit.

i60 wind in the cockpit, but combining wind speed and depth on a MFD in the cockpit might be an option, I don't know.

Having the plotter outside next to the door is best for helming, but crap for passage planning.
I'm not liking the idea of having the plotter inside and using WiFi to a smart phone/tablet for outside.
Also, it'd be good to know if the plotter will display the speed and depth to save on displays in the cockpit.

Having all the primary displays inside at the helm with just one MFD in the cockpit could be a neat option, but I think it could be a strain on the wallet, even more than what I'm already thinking of spending.

I have a quote from BEE at Kip but Guy at Ardfern seemed to know what he was talking about when I was talking to him so I might go there.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue May 01, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi Bob, just saw this. If you have a plotter in the wheel area it will have a window for all the instrument data - depth,speed,windspd/angle which would obviate the need for a repeater. I still like the three basic instruments at the wheel though and leave the repeater at the nav table, then you don't need to power the plotter all the time. ST60 multi head has what they call NMEA out but it requires a wee converter to be compatible with true NMEA that plotters (Garmin for instance) will recognise -that's how to display all the goodies. Sometimes it's easier to see the results on the plotter than it is to read the instruments due to sunshine - strategic placement is required unless you are fitting curtains as well. Finally, if you're fitting anything behind the throttle lever put it in forward cruising postion first in case it obscures... don't ask why I offer this advice!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:59 pm

What I ended up with.
Speed, trip and depth on an i50 tridata inside. Looks quite lonely because I moved the p70Rs outside where I use the pilot most, the remote can be used inside instead of the other way round.
Wind is on a i60 to port outside where I can see it from the tiller.
The Axiom 9 plotter is to starboard outside above pilot control. Speed and depth display on the plotter, as does the wind on one of the options.
I'm still learning what it all will do but it seems to be what I was expecting so far.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”