It's nearly that time of year again .....

General forum for participants and others interested in West Highland Week
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

It's nearly that time of year again .....

Postby marisca » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:53 am

No, I'm not pre-empting the announcement by one of the forum's more follically challenged denizens, due soon (as in less than 12 hours), that the nights are fair drawing in and winter cannae be far away. Instead, I am referring to the West Highland Yachting Week's annual bash starting on 1st August.
Like most years at this time I have no idea who the crew will be on the good ship Marisca and I have only one committed (or maybe he should be) volunteer and one "maybe" so far but it usually works out. One of the logistic problems is the sleeping accommodation on a Contessa 32 - with a crew of 5 it requires 2 of them to be friendly enough to cosy up in the forepeak. I have been lucky in the past to have had pairs of young ladies who were happy to occupy the space from the mast forward and by closing the heads door were safe from any unwanted attentions of ageing lotharios - they have also been bloody good crew.
So I am looking for a matched pair (gender immaterial) capable of winding winches, gybing kites and tolerating a week cramped on a 24' LWL boat. They will be expected to pay their share of entry fees, food, drink and, the sainted Nicola forfend, the insurance excess if shit happens. In return, a week of racing in Class 8 with one of the friendliest bunch of people (the other boats, not me!) you could wish to meet, a class party in Tobermory, a reasonably good chance (better the stronger the wind) of picking up silverware and, of course, the prizegiving ceilidh at the end (which tends to be another Class 8 party).
If auditions are necessary they can be held on the Clyde or near Oban depending on dates. PM me if even vaguely interested.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Re: It's nearly that time of year again .....

Postby marisca » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm or even a piss-take from Ken. Did I mention parties every night, free Tunnocks, and only 2 of the days are round the cans, the rest are gentle (aye, right!) passage races?

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:50 pm

I've lost interest in it since it got sponsored by biscuits instead of beer....

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:06 am

Still room for one more crew for WHYW, preferably young, strong and highly skilled (to counteract the preponderance of old and weak that are signed up already) though alive will do. Did I mention 1st in our class in this year's Round Mull?

Return to “West Highland Ramblings”