Where not to be

General forum for participants and others interested in West Highland Week
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Where not to be

Postby marisca » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:06 pm

WHYW starts on Saturday and all boring, "I don't do racing", party pooping, scatter becushioned, misanthropic, cruising types would be well advised to avoid Croabh on Saturday and Sunday; Dunstaffanage and Oban on Monday and Tuesday; and Tobermory on Wednesday and Thursday.

On the other hand, being in these places at those times can be a lot of fun. A few of the more enlightened members of these fora will be in attendance and performing. Wish them luck!

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Where not to be

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:03 pm

Good luck and fair winds to all participating.

I still hope to take part one of these years. In the meantime, let's hope there is no repeat of one particular (long ago) year when I had to set sail from Bunessan and sail far enough out to sea to get a signal to phone Silkie of this parish and give him instructions to reboot the server the whyw.co.uk site was hosted on at the time, the flurry of interest in the results having crashed the poor thing.
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:14 pm

As one of those "boring, "I don't do racing", party pooping, scatter becushioned, misanthropic, cruising types" starting a fortnight afloat on Monday, I thank you for the warning Alastair.
we can be heroes

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 am

Indeed. Been there done that and got several t shirts. Leaving Kames tomorrow for the Mull.

Only third time aboard this season ( hangs head in shame).
Donald

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:04 pm

There's little to match the sheer joy of going to windward at 4 knots in your 22' luxuryless pocket cruiser and seeing 50 boats bearing down on you under spinnaker.
we can be heroes

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:54 pm

We seem to be leading the fleet, but are 4 days infront of them :D

Tobers tonight. I don't think it would be worth hanging about just to see the fun, and suspect we wouldn't be thanked if the place is already full when they turn up.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I can see why it's called Wet Highland Grot Week.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:47 pm

I saw a picture of sails being repaired, and recognised one of them as Marisca's. And on AIS saw them doing quite nicely.
The fleet from Craobh to Oban on Monday was a sight to see as I came into Oban on Clansman (wishing I was with them rather than riding a noisy big mobo)
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Rhu in winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:18 pm

Managed to poke the end of a spreader through the genny - never managed that before! Retired from that race but did the next with oodles of spinnaker tape applied. Owens were wonderfully efficient in fixing it that night.

Was a lot quieter this year, not so many boats. Marisca achieved her prime objectives of beating the quines on Scintilla - one of our crew is a part owner but chromosomally disqualified from being on board during WHYW - and the other Contessa 32, Circe. As for the rest, the report card reads "could have done better". Luckily we had an 18 year old in our crew of 4 who lowered the average age to 55.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:07 pm

We were greeted with a fine sight of yachts as we exited Oban Bay by the North channel.
It was a bit busy in Dunstaffnage last night but it's where Erica's car was so we didn't have much choice in where we parked.
We went to the prize giving with some friends from Windermere who had been competing. Missed you Marisca.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “West Highland Ramblings”