Annual pilgrimage to Stornoway

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Annual pilgrimage to Stornoway

Postby Mavanier » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:00 pm

As has become habit since we left Lewis, we returned for festival week yet again. The sailing festival was a bit subdued compared to previous years, with fewer events planned, but the weather also did not help as many of the events were called off, including the only yacht race.
Bumped into a couple of forumites, only one of whom attempted to set my boat on fire, although he did also leave me dangling from the top of a mast for about an hour (or so it felt). Fortunately he turns out to be quite a good cook so all's well that ends well.

It was coincidentally out little 'un's first trip, and we proved that it is indeed possible, although perhaps not entirely wise, to cross the Minch carrying a four month old baby, two dogs, and a cockatiel.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Annual pilgrimage to Stornoway

Postby Telo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:12 am

Mavanier wrote:It was coincidentally out little 'un's first trip, and we proved that it is indeed possible, although perhaps not entirely wise, to cross the Minch carrying a four month old baby, two dogs, and a cockatiel.

You are a master of understatement. ;)

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:45 am

Mavanier wrote:It was coincidentally out little 'un's first trip, and we proved that it is indeed possible, although perhaps not entirely wise, to cross the Minch carrying a four month old baby, two dogs, and a cockatiel.

Did you no forget someone? Or did you leave her in Stornoway?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:14 am

I'd expect nae less from a man who can ferry loads of touroids on a daily basis intae that black abyss known as Loch Scavaig.
Perhaps a name change to Noah might be in order
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:45 pm

marisca wrote:

Did you no forget someone? Or did you leave her in Stornoway?

She was implied in the 'we' although, for sake of completeness, I should add that herself and the wee man bailed out by ferry, whilst the cockatiel remains in Stornoway on shore leave, so I was left to get the boat home with only dogs as crew. As Nick may attest it was not the nicest of conditions for it but they never uttered a word of complaint.

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:47 pm

claymore wrote:I'd expect nae less from a man who can ferry loads of touroids on a daily basis intae that black abyss known as Loch Scavaig.
Perhaps a name change to Noah might be in order

When the minister came to our primary school, my best friend (aged about 6 at the time) asked in all seriousness whether Noah carried two woodworm aboard his boat...

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:48 pm

It was a super sail on Wednesday. Jilled about a bit off Stornoway then one tack across to Staffin. Humpback, minke and more dolphins than I could count.

Return to “Passages and Places”