Crossing from Amsterdam to UK.

Tell us where you've been, trade information
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Crossing from Amsterdam to UK.

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 pm

A chap who sails on Windermere has bought a boat somewhere over there. He has asked me to help him bring it back in 4 weeks time because he hasn't much tidal experience, he has booked a week off work.

Has anyone experience of sailing across to Norfolk and then up the East coast to the Tyne?

Open CPN makes it look quite interesting with shipping lanes off the far side and gas platforms off Norfolk, is it really busy?

The boat is about 35-40' but I don't know how well equipped it is or how recently used. I did ask if he was allowing time for a shakedown cruise but he thinks the 5 hour trip to the sea lock will show up any problems.

I'd jump at the experience since I have never done long passages, but would like a better idea of what to expect.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

aquaplane

Re: Crossing from Amsterdam to UK.

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 24, 2016 8:43 pm

The boat is a Doufor 36 Classic:

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2004/ ... 0SsyJErLIU

Doesn't look like it has radar or AIS,. I suppose you could sail round there without ever going tidal, loads of inland seas.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Looks a nice boat, but, TBH, a week off work might be a tad optimistic if the weather is unsuitable or if there are mechanical or other problems with the boat - particularly if there are just two of you. Also, the seas there are pretty shallow and I'd guess (never having sailed there) that it could throw up some unpleasant conditions in a blow. Have a look at http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@7&key=g%7Bb~HuhmP. AIS and radar would be helpful - http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/hom ... 18/zoom:10 - :)

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Wed May 25, 2016 4:57 pm

I think I gave him enough doubt with my questions and other stuff I said, he has hired an RYA instructor to help and to get some training at the same time. He has 3 or 4 mates along too.

I thought that it could easy go pear shaped if there is a couple of days foul weather and then pressure to get across before time ran out. There again it could be a F4 beam reach with 24 hrs of sunshine all the way, just like Scotland.

I can concentrate on selling boats and care in the community looking after lame parents.

I'm still interested in what to look out for on such a passage though. I could sail that way myself sometime.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri May 27, 2016 8:14 am

I have sailed the route from Amsterdam to the Tyne several times - each way.
I prefer it to the Hull Zeebrugge and Hull Rotterdam routes.
Amsterdam - or Ijmuiden to give the port its proper title - to the Tyne is run by DFDS and their ships are much better than the Hull P&O ships. As is the grub available on board
Hope that helps
Xxx
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Fri May 27, 2016 10:59 am

claymore wrote:I have sailed the route from Amsterdam to the Tyne several times - each way.
I prefer it to the Hull Zeebrugge and Hull Rotterdam routes.
Amsterdam - or Ijmuiden to give the port its proper title - to the Tyne is run by DFDS and their ships are much better than the Hull P&O ships. As is the grub available on board
Hope that helps
Xxx

Thankyou sir.
This reminds me of a joke about a management consultant answering a question with a 100% accurate but totally useless answer.

It made me smile.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri May 27, 2016 12:34 pm

I may be able to help
The weather is always good when we cross.
I will let you know when.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Passages and Places”