New places visited this season.....

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

New places visited this season.....

Postby Telo » Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Bringing Telo up to her new home we only called in at three places that we'd previously visited - Arklow, Howth and ⚓ Loch na Mile, Jura.

Starting with Portsmouth, new places visited were;

⚓ Studland Bay
Weymouth
⚓ St Just Pool, River Fal
Falmouth
⚓ Mousehole
Newlyn
Kilmore Quay
⚓ Lambay Island
⚓ Bay W of St John's Point, near Ardglass (lunch stop)
Ardglass
⚓ Chapel Bay, Copeland Island (lunch stop)
Carrickfergus

wully
Old Salt
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: New places visited this season.....

Postby wully » Fri May 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Dunno about you but I found just about everywhere in Ireland was a great place to stop. We went to one place to fill up with diesel and were there for four days. Or Daze as it turned out...

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Sat May 21, 2016 12:07 pm

If this has worked, I've copied your wee anchor symbol into my signature for later use. Ta!

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue May 24, 2016 9:43 am

DaveS wrote:If this has worked, I've copied your wee anchor symbol into my signature for later use. Ta!

It works, Dave, but the image before the symbol isn't showing...

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Thu May 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Telo wrote:
DaveS wrote:If this has worked, I've copied your wee anchor symbol into my signature for later use. Ta!

It works, Dave, but the image before the symbol isn't showing...

No. What now just shows as "image" used to be a link to ThreePointFix on which I and others spent quite a bit of time registering anchorages and logging trips. It was a voluntary rather than commercial operation and has, I think, now been abandoned. Bit of a shame, really.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon May 30, 2016 10:21 am

DaveS wrote:No. What now just shows as "image" used to be a link to ThreePointFix on which I and others spent quite a bit of time registering anchorages and logging trips. It was a voluntary rather than commercial operation and has, I think, now been abandoned. Bit of a shame, really.

The internet is constantly popping up new sites which offer loads free because their proprietors fondly imagine commercial success will follow. Sadly that rarely comes to pass; the main BlueMoment site is a classic example.

I speak as a man who has spent 20 years throwing the seed corn of his time and expertise around wildly in the hope that some would flourish. No more freebies though - local community sites and this forum excluded, all other new ventures must now pay their way from day 1.

In the meantime, I marvel at the current field leader, the amazing Sailing and Cruising Scotland site and FB page:

http://www.sailingcruisingscotland.com/

They have, among other things, some amazing videos.
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon May 30, 2016 10:55 am

Threepointfix was Neil Magna Carter's project to keep himself busy while he was in between jobs. I don't think he had time for it after he found new employment although I seem to remember him trying to get someone else to take it on.
we can be heroes

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon May 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Nick wrote:
DaveS wrote:No. What now just shows as "image" used to be a link to ThreePointFix on which I and others spent quite a bit of time registering anchorages and logging trips. It was a voluntary rather than commercial operation and has, I think, now been abandoned. Bit of a shame, really.

The internet is constantly popping up new sites which offer loads free because their proprietors fondly imagine commercial success will follow. Sadly that rarely comes to pass; the main BlueMoment site is a classic example.

I speak as a man who has spent 20 years throwing the seed corn of his time and expertise around wildly in the hope that some would flourish. No more freebies though - local community sites and this forum excluded, all other new ventures must now pay their way from day 1.

In the meantime, I marvel at the current field leader, the amazing Sailing and Cruising Scotland site and FB page:

I've concluded that the most successful of these relies on a person with plenty of time to dedicate, enthusiasm to give away and energy to burn. There are few of these people.
This guy Kenny running the show has captured some imagination of others, roped in stuff from where ever (such as links to many good Youtube videos), but probably gets nothing out of it other that the enjoyment. Most of us can't afford to do that.

His "Flotilla" to Tarbert is a good example. Over 50 boats sailing in company to Tarbet. Now its a nice destination, but nothing so extraordinary. Perhaps its that Tarbert Harbour are also quite active in social media, and the two can feed off each other.
The flotilla is to have live web broadcast of some type.

What he is doing successfully is getting some involvement from those not currently engaged in the social aspects of sailing. That is likely to capture some relatively inexperienced folk, who will gain from the whole experience.

Good luck to him, and long may his head of steam keep up with the demand.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Well, I like the "chumminess" (is that a Vicar word?) of BlueMoment and I personally know and like many of the main contributors here. But, you're right, Sailing and Cruising Scotland is terrific, which I follow through their Facebook site (I know.....) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/sailing ... gscotland/

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue May 31, 2016 8:23 am

Telo wrote:

Well, I like the "chumminess" (is that a Vicar word?) of BlueMoment and I personally know and like many of the main contributors here. But, you're right, Sailing and Cruising Scotland is terrific, which I follow through their Facebook site (I know.....) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/sailing ... gscotland/

The forum is great and will be kept going for as long as I possibly can, or at least for as long as people continue to support it, but the main BlueMoment site, which was for many years the best source of all cruising info in the UK, has been sadly neglected.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue May 31, 2016 5:06 pm

Nick wrote:

I speak as a man who has spent 20 years throwing the seed corn of his time and expertise around wildly in the hope that some would flourish

I assume you are speaking of your former charges at the Oban Emporium for Learning?
Have any flourished?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 am

I was speaking of my various endeavours over the years to trigger a personal dot com boom, not my chequered and highly intermittent teaching career.

Former charges at OHS are most often seen in the Court section of the Oban Times. Such are the joys of working in Learning Support.
- Nick 8)

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Telo wrote:Bringing Telo up to her new home we only called in at three places that we'd previously visited - Arklow, Howth and ⚓ Loch na Mile, Jura.

Starting with Portsmouth, new places visited were;

⚓ Studland Bay
Weymouth
⚓ St Just Pool, River Fal
Falmouth
⚓ Mousehole
Newlyn
Kilmore Quay
⚓ Lambay Island
⚓ Bay W of St John's Point, near Ardglass (lunch stop)
Ardglass
⚓ Chapel Bay, Copeland Island (lunch stop)
Carrickfergus

Nothing as scattered as that lot, but we went up to Lochgoilhead - out of curiosity. Lots of moorings and quite pretty, but due to the hills, not very good sailing waters. We met submarines exiting the Coulport shed on the way up AND back. That was novel. MODPLOD screaming about on ribs, but never bothered us. I doubt I could be encouraged to trek all the way up Loch Long. Too much like going beyond Inverary!

By the way, the mackerel are about! Ships cat was well pleased!

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:31 pm

New places for Fairwinds so far this season are:

~ West Loch Tarbert
~ Carbost, Loch Harport
~ Witches Pool, Loch Mariveg
~ Gallanach, Isle of Muck

Otherwise just lots of old favourites, best of which were Eilen Mor McCormack, Canna Harbour and Acarseid Mor, Rona
- Nick 8)

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:11 pm

I like Loch Mariveg, quite quick to get into and then lots of options where to anchor.

Were you rafted up in Rona on Thursday night to two other boats, if so I was the boat anchored behind the island.

Return to “Passages and Places”