Orkney anchorage?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Orkney anchorage?

Postby mm5aho » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 pm

In August I hope to get to Orkney, and would like to anchor in "The Lash" on the north side of Graemesay Island, a little south of Stromness.
Can anyone advise the suitability of this spot to anchor for 2 days? (not leaving the boat unmanned)
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Re: Orkney anchorage?

Postby Fingal » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:41 am

Hi Geoff
I am not an expert on Orkney but have been a couple of times. Do you mean Bay of Sandside? I have never anchored in there and would probably not choose to do so. The bottom is shown as Stones or Weed, it's pretty shoal and I doubt if one could safely get very far in. The tide runs past there at some pretty cracking rates and I very much doubt if the bay offers much if any shelter from the tide. Pegal Bay in Rysa Sound looks like a better bet to me, or Bay of Ireland, out of the tide and plenty of room. A bit farther South the anchorage at Longhope is excellent.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks Ken,
I should explain the motive.
Each August for the past few years I've participated in a ham radio event linking lighthouses. (http://www.illw.net/)
Radio hams set up a transmitter at various lighthouses round the world and make contact with each other. Last year there were 544. I've combined yachting with this, by going to relatively inaccessible lights, or those not "activated" in this way before. (Hyskeir, Skerryvore, and similar) Its not a requirement to be in the lighthouse, but nearby. Anchoring nearby and operating my boat HF radio is convenient, but requires a reasonable anchorage. I have anchored in some rather unreasonable places though. Including between Lismore light and the rock to its southeast, alongside Rubha nan Gall (Tobermory) and others.

This year have in mind to combine a round circle trip to Orkney (west coast northbound, back through Caledonian Canal), and thought that Hoy Sound High Lighthouse on Graemsay Island sounds a good one.
I wondered in I can tuck into the red sector of the light, between it and "The Lash", a rocky point to the west, in the Bay of Sandside, it might escape the worst of the tide, a couple of metres of water under, and maybe some holding?

Pegal bay looks good, and might be a good spot nearest to Calf of Cava Light. Cava Island doesn't look to have much.

I'll have to seek some advice from some Orkadians I guess. They might think me crazy. Maybe I am?
Geoff.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:40 am

You are clearly deranged but in a very good way. Sounds like a brilliant project, it does ring a bell, you maybe posted about it before. There is a guy called Bill somebody who sails a Rival 36 out of Kirkwall, his contact details might be available from the Rival Owners Association. The reason I suggest him is that he is a retired Master of MV Pharos so if anyone knows about getting close to lighthouses he is clearly the man.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Ken

I've managed to contact several now, in Orkney, and got detail down to where the old creel ropes lie on the bottom in this bay!
One lives on the island and has sent pix of the pier, details on all manner of things, excellent help.
Another source is Orkney Councils harbours and marinas site, which offers "ask a local". An email came back with a chart (though I had that), details, phone numbers, info from those who've anchored there before and more. Amazingly friendly and helpful place these islands.
(that's not to say that west Coast island people are not at all, just seems to me that islands residents are really helpful)
Geoff.

Return to “Passages and Places”