What are your great plans for 2015?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

What are your great plans for 2015?

Postby mm5aho » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Summer fast approaching and it feels like some sap is rising already.
Another day's preparation and Contender will be about ready for the water. I'm shaping some plans for the summer.
Scottish Islands Peaks Race in May
CCCs Ailsa Craig and North channel races in June
2 weeks to Orkney and back in August (north along the west coast and south "through the middle")

Enjoyed the Round Mull last year, but can see difficulties in getting the boat west in time for the start, having finished the North Channel race at end of June, so might miss that!

What are your plans?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Re: What are your great plans for 2015?

Postby sahona » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Lots of stuff happening to keep us in the Clyde this year, but will be sneaking down to IOM TT with fruit of my loins junior for a few days. Really looking forward to it - been thinking about it for years.
Then the usual fleshpots of Rothesay, Tarbert, Lochgoilhead etc. -not ambitious, but good enough at our time of life...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 am

Probably "round the corner" into the Moray Firth (Again!), and see how the weather is. Possibly Wick, and perhaps Orkney if the weather is favourable.

But then again, I may go south . . . .
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Yotter
Able Seaman

Postby Yotter » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Shakedown this weekend, not going far, perhaps have a peek at the new Woodfarm Rock Perch tomorrow then retreat to Rothesay. Planning to regroup to summer berth in Craobh later in May. And hopefully, Orkneys after West Highland Week, the returning through the Cally Canal.
Angus

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 am

I wish I knew! All depends on my rate of recovery from last week's op and the unremitting effects of ageing.

My race-winning runners are awfy keen to do the SIPR again - a mere 10 weeks after the op so I have my doubts - can I stay awake, never mind enthusiastic for 3 days on the trot, and who do I trust to be the 3rd sailor? Consideration will be given to any young, strong, skilled, not-sickness-prone, experienced volunteer - last year's stalwart has emigrated to Turkey!

Scottish Series? - unlikely 'cos it needs a crew who know what they're doing; Round Mull & Scottish Contessa 32 Championship 3rd July - I wouldn't want to miss it; Tighnabruich Pursuit Race 18th July - a blast from my inglorious past, awfy tempting; West Highland Week - I do hope so. And the rest of the time, having fun, though if I do all of the above then that's 6 roundings of the MoK or 5x through the Crinan @ £100 a pop.

Then there's the Canaries and Azores on my bucket list plus the trip to the Orkneys and Shetlands that has always ended up in the Caley Canal. Of course, my wife may have other ideas.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Just put my entry in the mail for SIPR, and even more committed now having paid the entry fee!
I've one sailor from last year can't make it, and 1 confirmed runner so far. Working on that.

Marisca: if you need a ride to Orkney, I'm going that way in August. Planning northern route on west coast and back through canal, (having never been in that canal). There's only 2 of us so far, not crowded.

Got some anti-foul on yesterday, finished off one can and started the next to find it was a different shade of navy. So now we have a 2-tone hull, turns brighter blue if heeled well over!
Just a few more small jobs to do and then get her keel wet.
Geoff.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:18 pm

Not sure, but Orkney has come up in domestic conversation. Or maybe Ireland again, or Western Isles, or the Northwest.....

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Can almost see a cruise in company to Orkney coming up???
Geoff.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:15 am

"Drink more than would be considered prudent while hacking about the nicer parts of Argyll in a boat..."

:)

The Caley has been sugested for the May/June holiday.

There is loads more to look at all over but West of Mull was nice last year so another dose of that would be nice.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:29 am

Stornoway and the HebCelt music festival in my new boat, a very beautiful deep keeled Rival 34, previously known as "Revel", soon to be known as "Hirta"

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 am

John Peden, sailor, mountaineer, commodore (past or present?) of Oban Sailing Club and all round nice guy has an Achilles called Hirta, the only yin registered as such with a CYCA handicap. No reason why you shouldn't name your vessel after yon hummock but there are others.
Have you located a virgin to perform during the renaming ceremony? Poseidon may take agin you if you fail to follow the correct procedure.

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Fri May 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I'd been thinking again about a cruise up the East Coast from Medway to across the border. Theres quite a few cousins en route and would be good to renew relationships and some even meet for the first time.
Howevet that was the plan but a chum asked me to join him on trip to Azores and maybe Madeira. We left Chatham 4 weeks ago and got down Channel in mixture of light winds and blows. Left Plymouth without vane steering working and then tiller pilot blew fuse and then its pcb south of Scilly. So it was hand steering for 6 days by the two of us. Other mishaps revealed that boat had needed another twpo weeks of prep - nuisances only but tiring nonetheless.
Took a dogleg to Coruna to avoid strong winds off Finisterre and then hopped to Vigo.
After maintenance duties we plan to try out the adjusted vane gear, cruise down to Lisbon and then decide whether Madeira or Azores next. Wind patterns mean route back from Madeira out to the Azores.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat May 02, 2015 10:30 am

Ocklepoint wrote:Stornoway and the HebCelt music festival in my new boat, a very beautiful deep keeled Rival 34, previously known as "Revel", soon to be known as "Hirta"

Hopefully see you there
- Nick 8)

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Nick wrote:
Ocklepoint wrote:Stornoway and the HebCelt music festival in my new boat, a very beautiful deep keeled Rival 34, previously known as "Revel", soon to be known as "Hirta"

Hopefully see you there

Hoping to get back there ourselves... provisional festival program has parade of sail on the Wednesday and main yacht race on the Saturday...

Return to “Passages and Places”