New edition: “Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” Sailing Directions

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

New edition: “Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” Sailing Directions

Postby Telo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:13 pm

This morning, the postie delivered the Clyde Cruising Club’s “Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” Sailing Directions.

This edition merges the CCC SDs with Martin Lawrence’s Yachtsman’s Pilot to the area. Editorial control remains with the CCC and the volume is published by Imray Laurie Norie & Wilson. My first impressions are very positive.

So what’s it like? Spiral bound, and at 211pp, almost twice the size of our old well-thumbed 2000 edition. The pages feel a bit thinner and the spiral bindings are much bigger than previous editions, but Imray have had plenty of experience publishing pilot guides so hopefully they will stand up to west coast rain and spray. One of the new features is that editor Edward Mason has been able to use Bob Bradfield’s excellent labour-of-love survey with the Antares Charts. As expected, the chartlets and photographs are first class.

Another feature is that the “occasional” anchorages that used to be hidden away in the appendix at the back of the SD’s have now been incorporated into the main text. I have not sufficiently compared the editions to see whether any of the “occasionals” have dropped out, but I did notice that there are some new additions that I don’t recall being in the old, eg Baigh a’ Ghnoic Mhaoileanaich (Knockvologan) and Port nan Ron along the Ross of Mull. That there are still some surprising omissions is not a problem as they still allow the slightly more adventurous to explore unlisted anchorages.

CCC has done a great job with the new “Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” Sailing Directions, which, with a copy of Bob Bradfield’s Antares Charts, will be of great benefit for the West’s cruisers.

Here's to the 2015 Season!

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: New edition: “Kintyre to Ardnamurchan” Sailing Directio

Postby aquaplane » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:17 pm

OOOOo that's interesting, our copy is getting dog eared but is still usable, I was thinking of getting another book but thought it OTT having two the same.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

That greengrocer's apostrophe.....

Postby Telo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Sorry about that, the predictively texted apostrophe insinuated itself into the post. Apologies, should have been "SDs".

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:01 pm

AFAIK "greengrocers' apostrophes" are common usage these days when the object being pluralised is represented by a capitalised abbreviation.
different colours made of tears

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:34 am

aquaplane wrote:OOOOo that's interesting, our copy is getting dog eared but is still usable, I was thinking of getting another book but thought it OTT having two the same.

I think I'll have a sneaky look in a chandler before I spend more dosh. I already have several overlapping pilot books from CCC/Martin Lawrence. I might get strung up buying more!
I doubled up for exactly the reason they have been merged. There are lots of little items in both which are almost unique. The new publication will solve that hopefully. I have to say I found the spiral CCC books easier to deal with on board. At least they would lie flat! How long they last depends on the paper and how damp they get....

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:11 am

And to offset all this new fangled publication stuff, I just bought (From Johnston's Stores in Lamlash) ..

CCC West of Scotland Blue book (1951)

Some things have changed, lots have not!

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 pm

I got one of those on eBay for £3. Amazing how its held its value, bet it cost lest than £3 when it was published way back then.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Passages and Places”