Top three (or more) anchorages

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Storyline
Master Mariner

Top three (or more) anchorages

Postby Storyline » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 am

Have just been making a log of Storyline's summer and it got me thinking where to plan to visit next year so I would love to read those places that you particularly like.

For us (very boring);
1. Ardmore Islands
2. Cragaig Bay
3. Puildordorean Edit: Forgot Canna - have not been since the moorings arrived - hope it has not lost it's remote feel.

Several years ago Port Askaig would have been near the top of the list as we used to be able to get our Pentland onto the knuckle by the small boat harbour. It was a cracking spot, sandwiched between the wee ferry to Jura (which berthed just a few feet away) and the main ferry pier and 30 seconds walk to the hotel. No longer possible as Storyline is too big and anyway the new quay design precludes it (one of the more stupid redevelopments).

Despite spending around 25 summers cruising the western isles we have not got to the outer Hebrides very often as until 5 years ago we would sail up each summer from Liverpool so always ran out of time. In the past 5 years we now usually spend 2 or 3 nights in each place so also do not get too far. Ashamed to say we have never even been to the Wizards Pool !

Although I realise many people are loathe to share favourite spots in case they get busy most of us on here sail our boat in Scotland anyway.
Last edited by Storyline on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Re: Top three (or more) anchorages

Postby cpedw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 am

Storyline wrote:Although I realise many people are loathe to share favourite spots in case they get busy most of us on here sail our boat in Scotland anyway.

Too right! We have a favourite that's less than 10 miles from our mooring and 5 from Oban. It's described in Lawrence yet we have never found another boat in there in about 10 visits over 5 years. Until this year.

I blame Antares charts.

So that's a different "Where is it ?" challenge for you ...

Derek

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:10 am

Eilean nan Gamhna

(cheated ;))
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:31 am

Vatersay Bay
Acarseid Mor (Rona)
Canna Harbour
Taransay
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Storyline wrote:Eilean nan Gamhna

Nice spot. If we're having a evening start from the mooring, we often use the bay on the north side of the doirlinn between Eilean no Cloiche and Eilean Dubh. Handy overnight stop and good for catching the morning tides.

We once anchored overnight in the small bay on the south side of Cloiche/Dubh, but rock bound and perilously little swinging room. Felt very relieved when we left there next morning.

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 pm

Oh so difficult, so I'm going for four

Loch Mariveg
Scavaig
Rodel
Canna

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Got to get to Scavaig next year.

And I want to spend a night in Soay Harbour as well. We went in once, but it got too crowded with more Classic Maltsters on the VHF announcing they were heading our way, so we bailed out while we still could and went to Rum.
- Nick 8)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Shard wrote:

Nice spot. If we're having a evening start from the mooring, we often use the bay on the north side of the doirlinn between Eilean no Cloiche and Eilean Dubh. Handy overnight stop and good for catching the morning tides.

We once anchored overnight in the small bay on the south side of Cloiche/Dubh, but rock bound and perilously little swinging room. Felt very relieved when we left there next morning.

Is this the place ? If so, which of the three places that look suitable are you referring to ?

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Another vote for Scavaig - once filled our jerry can up with water from the large waterfall in the n/w corner. There is a convoluted system of plastic pipes that run down from a pool half way up the waterfall which supply the bothy. Saw them getting repaired once and it involved some serious climbing along the rock face to get to the bit that had become detached.

Also would love to go to Soay but I think there may not be enough water for us to cross the bar (2m).

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:09 pm

(cheated ;))

No, that's not my secret place though it meets many of the criteria. But it has had other users pre Antares.

The place Shard is describing is east of Lismore, the group that I call the Creags for simplicity. It too contains an Eilean man Gamhna.

Derek

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 am

Storyline wrote:
Is this the place ?

No, near where Derek referred to, east of Lismore, the doirlinn between Eilean ban Cloiche and Eilean Dubh is close to the other Eilean nan Gamhna.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:24 am

cpedw wrote:We have a favourite that's less than 10 miles from our mooring and 5 from Oban.

Loch Don.

I don't think you need worry about it getting too busy :) although I might have to give it a try next year.
we can be heroes

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:36 am

Loch Don was a doddle in Carousel (4' draught) with me stood on the foredeck doing the left a bit, right a bit thing, the bottom was sand and easy to see, we didn't do any ploughing.

Chiron (3' draught) should be even easier to get in and out and park.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:46 am

Silkie wrote:Loch Don.

Indeed. Silkie is the sage.

Derek

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:18 am

Looking at Loch Don on Antares it looks just about doable with our 6' draft. Just a quick question - what is it like inside ie pretty or gloomy etc ? A bit of a subjective question I realise but I hope you know what I mean :)

Return to “Passages and Places”