Baltic Cruise

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Aros More
Midshipman
Boat Type: Endurance 37

Baltic Cruise

Postby Aros More » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:13 am

After 2 summers on the west coast I'm heading east to the Baltic in May and would appreciate members recent experiences. In particular reasonably priced marinas in Southern Norway and Copenhagen. I plan to explore around Rugen and the Peenemunde into Poland.
Thanks
Iain

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Re: Baltic Cruise

Postby Fingal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:35 am

If you PM Zophiel I am sure he will be happy to share his experience. Martin has enjoyed the Baltic so much that he has left his boat over there somewhere for the past couple of winters.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 pm

i assume from your request that you plan to sail round the north of Denmark. my experience dates back to 2008 so is not particularly recent. laeso is a convenient place to stop - small village, fishing harbour, tie up against wooden piles. you can buy fresh prawns from the local boats and there was a small shipyard if you needed repairs. pretty cheap berthing as I recall'

there is a lot of stem to mooring in the Baltic and it is definitely an advantage to have a " Baltic " pulpit

in rugen - lohme is well worth a visit. small harbour. moor stem to between poles, very picturesque but a stiffish climb up the steps to the village. again not too expensive as I recall. the harbourmaster in 2008 also ran cruises in his " kutter ". a good man to keep in with if he is still there :) buy a few beers in his little shop.
there is a bigger marina round the corner in sassnitz but we didn`t go there

in Poland the yachting facilities are mostly river based and at that time seemed to be subject to constant dredging.
kolobjerg is a fairly large commercial port and the yacht basin was towards the inner end near to the trawler basin. mooring stem to with a stern buoy or a few alongside berths. facilities were pretty eastern European / communist block at that time but may have been improved since. again not very expensive.

the above is just off the top of my head.
if you want further details or to go further east let me know and I can look out the logs of the trip.

can`t help you with Norway and we didn`t stop at Copenhagen but it looks splendid in the dark as you pass.

Zophiel
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Vancouver 27

Postby Zophiel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I've replied to Aros More directly, but some of you might, possibly, be interested in this.

I've just 'published' a sort of harbour pilot entitled "105 Rocks and Other Stuff to Tie your Boat to in Eastern Sweden and Finland".

It's available FREE on my website at http://www.edge.me.uk

It's an incomplete, inaccurate and biased guide to mooring in the Baltic archipelagos of Sweden and Finland. As the name suggests, the ‘guide’ details 105 places where you can tie your boat up in eastern Sweden and Finland.

I appreciate that this may be of marginal relevance to most, but you might find it of interest to read about strange foreign parts. Or perhaps you know someone you might want to forward this to.

The web version of 105 Rocks contains loads of links so that you can, hopefully, navigate easily round the guide. There's also a pdf version.

My main aim was to wax lyrical about the joys of the cool forests, warm sea, hot, sun-drenched rocks and sizzling barbeques of wild Baltic anchorages in the summer. Spend a summer cruising this part of the Baltic and, at last, you won’t have to keep moaning about how much money your boat is costing you. It’s payback time when you are living for free in the Balmy Baltic in summer.

Cheers

Martin
Martin

Vancouver 27 'Zophiel'
www.edge.me.uk

Aros More
Midshipman
Boat Type: Endurance 37

Postby Aros More » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:04 am

Many thanks for replies,lots of good reading ahead!

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:33 pm

On a lighter note, surely any cruise anywhere round here this month could be a "Baltic" cruise?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Return to “Passages and Places”