Tumbling Hearts

Tell us where you've been, trade information
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Tumbling Hearts

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:45 pm

I arrived at my new place of work, far away, remote, cold and foreign. In my office I started trying to grasp the intricacies of how the place works, who to talk to for what, procedures to follow, schedules, times and costs. It's been very trying and at times quite lonely as language and customs are quite different and strange. I am a humorous person, light hearted, enjoy company and a good blether, a bit of a laugh; its how I keep the strain of responsibility and accountability at manageable levels.

However, that was not working, matters were difficult on the project and hard decisions had to be made. Consensus was not obvious and I was having trouble gauging reactions and positions. The days were long and daylight a grim memory; a cold, wet winter on Sauchiehall Street seemed tropical and exotic compared to this lonely bleakness. It was wearing thin when a long day finished, followed by a lonely trudge through the snow, eating dinner surrounded by dour, hardened men and woman.

By this time in my life I am used to such projects but this one was getting under my skin, digging in, doubts nagging away, going over the decisions time and again in my head: was it right, what do they think, would they have done it different, am I being hung out to dry? What's the point, the decision has been made, the deed is done, move on. I retired to my room, a long walk along a harsh, bright corridor, up the metal stairs, not a picture on a wall and into my room, wall to wall pine effect formica.

Sitting at the desk a Skype home is just the ticket to blow away the blues. Cheery kids, barking dog, busy wife, familiar sounds and sights, a tonic; stupid wifi won't connect. I lay down, at least sleep will dull the day and isolated and warm I snuggle down, small comforts. And then I hear it: whumm/wumm ………. whumm/wumm …….. whumm/wumm. Persistent, strong but quiet, in both ears: whumm/wumm …… whumm/wumm ….. whumm/wumm. Christ all mighty I think, I must be stressed out my head, my blood pressure is so high I can hear my heart beating away. I recognised the signs earlier, too many things to think about, cluttered thoughts, difficult to grasp the train of thought, now this.

I woke in the morning and all was calm again. Another day, another dollar, where there is cash there is chaos, or is it where there is chaos there is cash. I lie a while listening, nothing, just the sound of people getting up, no heart beat, normal. I must have needed a rest, it has been non stop since I arrived. The day passes much the same and I finally retire again whumm/wumm ………. whumm/wumm …….. whumm/wumm. This is too much, I have never felt like this before and have managed far more difficult projects than this. I must be getting sick of it all. Later I discuss it with my wife who says I should probably get checked at the doctor as it may be something entirely innocent.

The morning arrives and all is okay, feeling good, rested. I pack up my laundry and drop it off. Another day, another dollar and the Russians are melting a bit, they are trying to crack jokes about Pavlov's Dog, it's a start. I suspect they are relieved that decisions have been made and in their "somebody must be punished culture" it wont be them, this time. The day is over and I collect my laundry when I hear the distinct whumm/wumm ………. whumm/wumm …….. whumm/wumm again, although louder. I push the laundry door open and relief floods through me and big grin finally cracks this tired face. I notice the industrial tumble dryer whumm/wumming away to its merry beat. My wife laughs and calls me a noddy. Maybe I will tell the Russians in the morning.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Tumbling Hearts

Postby claymore » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 am

When you get home I will take you for a walk in Morecambe. It needs to be pouring down, blowing dogs off leads and preferably a Thursday as the giros come good then
Outer Siberia will seem quite fine by comparison.
:santa:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Siberia?

That's nuthin , I've just been on the Ensco 70.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:14 pm

wully wrote:Siberia?

That's nuthin , I've just been on the Ensco 70.

Number 2 son is going to be spending Christmas on the Ensco 101 by the look of things.

Deep joy , , , how I long for those days, shovelling snow on the pipe deck to get the container door open for the backup tool because the first one has died downhole.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:34 am

Nick wrote:
Number 2 son is going to be spending Christmas on the Ensco 101 by the look of things.

Is that out on the Jasmine for CoP?

Return to “Passages and Places”