Warm Whisky In The Morning

Tell us where you've been, trade information
BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Warm Whisky In The Morning

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 pm

It was 8 am and I was standing in the passage of a Pullman wondering when the endless vista of trees would end and just were the fek was Sootgard! I tried asking the guard but this just ended up confusing matters further. Fortunately a young chap had just woken from his all night drinking session and recognised a 'Shotlander'. "Sootgard next stop," he announced, "you want Whisky?" What could I say, it would be rude not to. I wish I had taken a photo of the bottle as it was the real McCoy; Russian Whisky with a highland style logo called Jockman or some such name. The bottle was retrieved from the top of the radiator and his tattooed drinking colleague woken to get the glass. At this point I was not sure what was about to happen as tattoo man was acting like a bear with sore head and was not pleased that the last of the whisky was being offered to me. The boy happily poured a dribble into the glass leaving the majority for tattooed bear. Now, the Russians know how to keep their trains warm, having coal fired hot water boilers for the heating. I was expecting scottish excrement, (webmaster just leave s h i t e in please) of course, and it was, but being very warm, it reminded me of Hot Toddies, made by my father with Bells which always cheered me up as a sickly child. It brought a smile to my face, I wished them well and turned back to watching the trees pass by, less miserable and a wee bit nearer home.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Warm Whisky In The Morning

Postby Nick » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:24 am

Very picturesque.

Consider yourself awarded the Yarn of the Month award.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:46 pm

You can meet some good people anywhere. Nice yarn, thanks for sharing.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:49 am

Nice.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

An Island friend & myself, travelling in Northern Slovakia some years ago shortly before the two countries split, came across a shop with bottles of "Scotch" called "Old Cock" - in English. I think the 70cl bottle cost us something like £1.50p, slightly dearer than the local home made vodkas. We knew it would be rubbish, but couldn't resist out of pure curiosity.

The colour was about right, as was the viscosity, but the "nose" was almost pure ether, and cleared the sinuses utterly, the colour was clearly caramel and the taste suggested it was just pure spirit & water. But it was well worth the price for entertainment value & it was drinkable in strong coffee. But the most fun was had by serving it to whisky aficionados without letting them see the bottle.

Return to “Passages and Places”