Vital Spark - Crinan Canal

Tell us where you've been, trade information
vitalspark
Midshipman

Vital Spark - Crinan Canal

Postby vitalspark » Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:17 pm

The original Vital Spark, as used for the BBC series, is just lying rusting away in the Crinan Canal, a sad site.

Surely the BBC should put some money towards her restoration? After all, she must have made plenty of money for them.

Also - why is the Crinan so expensive? It's about the same as the Caledonian Canal, but only 9 miles long and you have to work the locks yourself!

And - BTW - watch out between the last two locks (3 and 2?) before the sea lock at Ardrishaig - there's no landing stage, so make sure the next lock is full and open before leaving. (It's just round a wee corner, so you can't see it - but it's not far).

- V

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:02 pm

I would have thought that the owner of the Vital Spark would also have had a tidy draw from the BBC for the use of her throughout the series. Perhaps that money should have been spent on her restoration?
The VIC32 is often around and they've developed a trust plus they do charter work to keep her going - Vital Spark is of course in a terrible state. :cry:
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Vital Spark

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:23 pm

Hi Claymore

She's in the basin now, at least.

You're right, no doubt the owners made a bit of dosh and spent it in the pub rather than on her.

I've seen the VIC32 a few times this year, most recently at Craighouse. Apparently people pay good money for the privilige of shovelling coal into her . . .

- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:32 am

Vic 32 was loaded with a dozen ageing and wealthy Canadians earlier in the year - they were loving it - they'd organised a Piper who walked along the pier at Craighouse and played for them - there's a piano onboard and the scones and jam were to die for.
She crossed ahead of us in the sound and we were engulfed in the thickest smokescreen I've ever seen!
I think its a brilliant concept - I understand the owner of the vital spark lives in Edinburgh and has lost interest - don't know whether that is true or not. :?:
Regards
Claymore

PufferSkipper

Vic32

Postby PufferSkipper » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:12 pm

I was just trawling the Internet looking to see what is happening on the VIC and I came across this site. I worked on her for the last two seasons, including when the Canadians were onboard. The sad news I have to tell is that VIC32 has had her boiler condemned so no more will she cross your path with her smokey stack. At least unless they get the money together. I'm trying to find a website that has information about the appeal but there doesn't seem to be one.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:03 pm

Sounds like a line from the Lord Middleton

"No more will she sail the icy seas,
Nor her smokestack smear the sky,
For over there in the old scrapyard
The Lord Middleton must die"
Regards
Claymore

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

'Thread from the Dead' Award

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:42 am

This post gets April's 'Thread from the Dead' award.

Congrats, Claysie.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Nick- has the blasted rain stopped yet?
2 weeks and counting!
Regards
Claymore

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Vital Spark, Crinan Basin - a sorry sight

Postby Telo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm

Hadn't been through the canal for a couple of years or so until this weekend. The VS is looking even worse than I remember. The thing's just rusting away. A great pity.

Return to “Passages and Places”