Round Mull

Tell us where you've been, trade information
MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Round Mull

Postby MrMcP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:05 am

Lovely race, shame yesterday abandoned. Don't think we did particularly well but had some time on the rail to take a few piccies. Only recognised Marisca from this parish but if you know any of the others in the photos then I'll happily send the full sized originals to them if they like.

http://s163.photobucket.com/user/andymc ... ull%202013

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Re: Round Mull

Postby stevepick » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Great pics Andy, we were on Ataraxia one of the dufour 40s, which boat were you on? I really enjoyed the whole weekend, I am amazed at how many times the sunday has been almost windless on previous races, but it was a great run home in the sun, with the radio on and some tennis to listen to.

Hard work coming around Caliach point though, that was quite lumpy.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Nice pics. We had to go home on Friday so missed all the fun. There were a lot of RYS boats in the area; were they racing?

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:14 pm

We were on Bequia, first time a lot of us had sailed together and the skipper was missing due to work commitments so not quite as fast as we liked, but still a great fun weekend. Think it was you we raced to the line at the end of day one? My first time doing the race and thoroughly enjoyed it. Needed that dry sunny Sunday to get the moisture out the boat and crew after Saturday's drenching...

Not sure about the RYS boats - we saw a few in Oban but don't recall if they were in the race.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 pm

MrMcP wrote:Not sure about the RYS boats - we saw a few in Oban but don't recall if they were in the race.

They seemed to be everywhere last week, including the airwaves...........

Ackshully, their posh talk was a lot more entertaining than the normal ongoing tale of everyday fishing folk on Channel6.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:48 pm

We found Kerrera full on Wed afternoon so just did a flying visit to Tesco and went South to Puilladobhrain.

We bumped into someone maskerading as Marisca in the TnT with a couple of medical friends. They mentioned several social events and possibly a little sailing.

Due to pants weather we tested the Danforth for the next 2 nights, it didn't seem to budge.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:23 pm

I saw / heard a race start at Tobermory on Saturday morning. Would that be the Round Mull? (You can tell I'm really into this racing lark :) ) If so, that would also explain the number of boats anchored in Aros Bay. Saturday became quite wild: after getting round Ardnamurchan doing silly speeds with only a half rolled genoa in increasingly heavy rain I abandoned heading for Loch nan Uamh and settled for Camus an Lighe which gave shelter from the wind but not the swell. Not recommended.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 am

DaveS wrote:I... settled for Camus an Lighe which gave shelter from the wind but not the swell. Not recommended.

That's a shame, as we've been meaning to go there (I presume that's the one near Kintra/Ceann Traigh?). More settled weather perhaps?

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:27 pm

DaveS wrote:I saw / heard a race start at Tobermory on Saturday morning. Would that be the Round Mull? (You can tell I'm really into this racing lark :) ) If so, that would also explain the number of boats anchored in Aros Bay.

Yep, that was the one. Friday was Oban-Tobermory, Saturday Tobermory-Bunessan, Sunday Bunessan-Oban (under engine as it turned out). If you'd seen us on the Saturday morning, it would have been horribly apparent that we weren't really into this racing lark either, although that might have had a lot to do with the previous evening's consumption....

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:17 am

Shard wrote:
DaveS wrote:I... settled for Camus an Lighe which gave shelter from the wind but not the swell. Not recommended.

That's a shame, as we've been meaning to go there (I presume that's the one near Kintra/Ceann Traigh?). More settled weather perhaps?

Yes, that's the one, called the Kintra anchorage by ML. I thought about which name was correct for a while, then decided that although Camus an Lighe is the most obvious bay, it is in fact only one of several sandy bays with beaches at the head of the (fairly short) loch, some of which might give better shelter with the wind slanted away from S, so it seemed more appropriate to me to use the name of the bay rather than the loch. Others will no doubt disagree!

In better weather it might well be OK - I was maybe a bit unlucky with the swell.

I almost ended up there a few years ago when thick mist looked like making the entrance to Loch Moidart even hairier than it normally is. Fortunately it cleared just before we arrived.

Return to “Passages and Places”