East Coast Cruise

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Ariel
Able Seaman

East Coast Cruise

Postby Ariel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning a cruise up from Hartlepool to Banff in early July to deliver our boat to her new owner. My inclination is to stay inshore in our lifting keel Seamaster Sailer 23. We have three or four days to do the trip and will probably sail round the clock up to Eyemouth / Dunbar so that we can enjoy a more leisurely time in the unfamiliar waters beyond. We have three or four days set aside.

I am about to start researching the trip and would welcome any passage advice about going up the East Coast and round the corner.

Thanks,

Rav.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: East Coast Cruise

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, the hotel at Scotch Corner isn't what it used to be....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 pm

When sailing on the East Coast:

rule no. 1 - ignore Claymore

Come to think of it, just make that rule no. 1 in all circumstances and you can't go far wrong.
- Nick 8)

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:16 am

If you have a specific 3-4 days in mind I hope you are lucky with the weather. Eyemouth to Arbroath is a longish offshore passage and you ned to arrive against the suthgoing flood to be able to enter Arbroath. Another long sail to Peterhead, straightforward if the weather is kind, then make sure you have the tide in your favour to get round Rattray Head. 3 or 4 days for the whole trip is possible but it's a long way in a fairly small and quite slow boat. I would allow a week.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:42 am

I've done Eyemouth to Stonehaven in a longish day in a 23ft motor sailer (motored all the way at 5kts in thick fog!)

From Eyemouth it is 45 nm to Arbroath, 58 to Montrose and 66 to Stonehaven. Arbroath is not particularly yacht-friendly (unless it has changed recently) , so shold probably be considered as an emergency diversion only . . . Montrose has pontoons but you will need to catch the tide up the river. Berthing in Stonehaven against the quay in the outer harbour can be a bit rough in onshore winds, but your boat can take the ground in the inner harbour. I would phone the harbourmaster first to see if that will be OK though.

From Stonehaven you will need to plan to make Peterhead in one hop unless conditions are particularly benign, in which case you could possibly take the ground in Collieston - you can see pictures of a small yacht tucked in behind the breakwater HERE

Don't whatever you do even think of going into Aberdeen - they are positively yacht-hostile and recently demanded that the RNLI cut free a catamaran they were towing to safety. The boat sank.

Peterhead is a great marina, though in industrial surroundings. The town is frankly not worth the walk.
- Nick 8)

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:33 am

I wouldn't suggest using Collieston as a refuge. The entrance is very narrow and where that yacht is moored, there are usually local skiffs/dinghies moored with lines from the outer corner across to the main leg of the pier. There is no room to turn a 23 foot boat in the channel on the way in so you are committed without knowing if you can berth easily. Perhaps on a settled day and a rising tide.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 am

Gardenshed wrote:I wouldn't suggest using Collieston as a refuge. The entrance is very narrow and where that yacht is moored, there are usually local skiffs/dinghies moored with lines from the outer corner across to the main leg of the pier. There is no room to turn a 23 foot boat in the channel on the way in so you are committed without knowing if you can berth easily. Perhaps on a settled day and a rising tide.

I certainly wasn't suggesting using Collieston as a port of refuge, more as an interesting alternative in very settled weather. My exact words were 'unless conditions are particularly benign' . . . and remember the OP has a lifting keel and so can (presumably) take the ground easily.

However, most people would do Stonehaven to Peterhead in one hop.

I'm afraid an East Coast cruise is (apart from the Forth and the Moray Firth) a dull and uninteresting enterprise.
- Nick 8)

Ariel
Able Seaman

Postby Ariel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Nick,

Thanks for the further tips.

It sounds like Stonehaven is the best jumping off point for the leg up to Peterhead. I've had a look at Collieston and it looks like a handy option - as you point out, conditions permitting.

Although our boat can dry out with its stub keel sinking in mud, it is not something that we have ever tried. It would be an interesting experiment with the new owner on board! I notice that my pilot has a temporary anchorage there which might be an option if we want to wait out the tide. (The Garmin plotter shows that same anchorage as a danger area!)

I was having a look a the anchorage up the River Ythan since we only draw 0.7 metres with the keel up, but, it doesn't sound like the easiest of entrances. It looks like an attractive place to go ashore, though, so I will put it on my long list of 'places to visit on a sunny calm day on a rising tide'. We might be cruising the coast later in the summer in a Telstar trimaran which is a better boat to accidentally park on a rising beach!

I am beginning to get a feel for the passage. It is not quite the Solent, in terms of Marinas!

Thanks, again, for the advice.

Ravi

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:52 pm

I've done Eyemouth to Arbroath in one day, and it is a lovely marina now. When I was there about 5 years ago, the showers were abysmal. No other word for it, but I believe they've been all done up recently. You have to arrive +/- 3 (or 4, - can't remember) hours either side of HW to get in through the gate, and the harbourmaster goes home at either 7 or 8 PM, so after that, you're stuck.

Wouldn't go to Montrose. Very strong tides, and very commercial,

Stonehaven is OK, especially if you have a lifting keel.

I agree with Nick - Keep clear of Aberdeen at all costs. They positively discourage yachts of any description.

Peterhead is good - I'm based there. Feel free to come to Rowana for a brew if I'm about.

The next bit needs to be planned with care. Leave Peterhead about 2hrs after HW, and get the tide round Ratray Head.

Fraserburgh do allow yachts in, but are not that keen. Mostly big trawlers there.

Arrive Banff around HW and you'll be fine.

I usually do Peterhead - Whitehills in one go when I go "Round the corner".

There are a few small drying harbours on the way up - Johnshaven, Gourdon, Cruden Bay, Etc, but unless it's very settled weather, I would keep clear myself.

HTH
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Nick wrote:.

Don't whatever you do even think of going into Aberdeen - they are positively yacht-hostile and recently demanded that the RNLI cut free a catamaran they were towing to safety. The boat sank.

I think that's overstated. They certainly don't advertise themselves as a yacht friendly harbour or provide any special facilities but if you call them up politely and there is a suitable space they will find you a corner. The story of the catamaran (May 2009?) according to the RNLI was that they abandoned the tow as the cat was becoming unstable presumably due to taking on water.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Ramjams used to be good, not exactly east coast but on the A1
especially if going north.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:58 pm

The Ythan is navigable with a shallow draft boat bellow the bridge but does pretty much dry out at low water. There are two perches marking the deeper water just off the spit the sticks out from the west shore and a deeper area off to the left past there where a small mobo was on a mooring last time I was there.

Off on a tangent..
They've built new houses on the site of the old wharf that used to have an interesting steel home built boat resting against it.
This boat was being built in Bowling canal basin when I about 12. The bloke who built it started off with a steel ships lifeboat which he cut in half, pulled apart, then welded in a new mid ships section. He then chopped off the bow and stern and rebuilt them to look like a clipper ship. After a load more labour it was habitable and the family moved aboard. It was probably about 45 feet long by this time.
Last time I saw it she was ready to leave, fully rigged and completed. I'd love to know how she ended up in Newburgh.

In those days Bowling basin was full of interesting 'projects'.. A lot of them were old motor torpedo or RAF rescue boats fully or partially converted mostly gently rotting away and populated by an interesting and weird bunch of people a lot of whom were preparing for the Great Escape To Sea.
I know 3 of them did leave and one was wreaked on the west coast of Africa. An other was the home made clipper ship. The other boat was called 'Gladvall' Not sure of the spelling but it translated as Happy Whale.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:24 am

Rowana wrote:I've done Eyemouth to Arbroath in one day, and it is a lovely marina now. When I was there about 5 years ago, the showers were abysmal. No other word for it, but I believe they've been all done up recently. You have to arrive +/- 3 (or 4, - can't remember) hours either side of HW to get in through the gate, and the harbourmaster goes home at either 7 or 8 PM, so after that, you're stuck.

Wouldn't go to Montrose. Very strong tides, and very commercial,

Stonehaven is OK, especially if you have a lifting keel.

I agree with Nick - Keep clear of Aberdeen at all costs. They positively discourage yachts of any description.

Peterhead is good - I'm based there. Feel free to come to Rowana for a brew if I'm about.

The next bit needs to be planned with care. Leave Peterhead about 2hrs after HW, and get the tide round Ratray Head.

Fraserburgh do allow yachts in, but are not that keen. Mostly big trawlers there.

Arrive Banff around HW and you'll be fine.

I usually do Peterhead - Whitehills in one go when I go "Round the corner".

There are a few small drying harbours on the way up - Johnshaven, Gourdon, Cruden Bay, Etc, but unless it's very settled weather, I would keep clear myself.

HTH

Another possibility is Newport on Tay - which has a small marina. Needs tides for in & out the Tay of course.

Occasional yachts come into Montrose, but usually raft up alongside fishing boats on the North Quay - near the new RNLI station. The tide is strong, but only a problem if you try to go against it. We race dinghies in the harbour at LW a few times during the summer.
Both the inner harbours at Johnshaven and Gourdon are OK for a boat which can sit aground, and fairly well protected. The quayside chipshop (Hornblower's) at Gourdon does meals upstairs as well as take away food. Pub at the harbour as well. If you arrive at night, pay particular attention to the leading lights, as there are several offshore reefs which could be run into otherwise.

Graeme

Ariel
Able Seaman

Postby Ariel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks Wully and Pagoda.

The charting of the chippie and pub are particularly welcome!

Ravi

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Lifting keel........Anstruther

Great fish supper

Return to “Passages and Places”