Corryvreckan Survey Story

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Mark
Old Salt

Corryvreckan Survey Story

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Nicked from elsewhere:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/envi ... s.19404800

Looking at the other photos in the article it looks like they're saying there's no pinnacle, but the 30M patch to the SW of Camas Nam Bairneach is a 'Rock Wall' causing the swirling.

That's where I thought the pinnacle was and according to Navionics UGC I'm not alone in thinking that.

So the 'story' is the Pinnacle is actually a "buttress of rock".

I'm going to keep calling the butress a pinnacle.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Corryvreckan Survey Story

Postby DaveS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm

That's interesting. I'd seen this elsewhere but couldn't get it to open properly. Thinking about it it makes more sense that an angled rock wall at one side of the channel would deflect water across the stream and set up a rotation than it being caused by a vertical up welling.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

How many of you peeps have sailde/motorsailed through it and what was it like for you and your crew?
The day I had a peek at it the water was very serene looking, I wasent going that way though.
I never had a sudden urge to see if it is a pinnicle or buttress :shake:
C_W

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 am

We went through for the first time in September this year and anchored overnight in Bàgh Gleann nam Muc (the Bay of the Glen of Pigs)

It was slack water neaps and all was quiet . . . we walked over later to watch at the height of the ebb, but the whirlpool wasn't spectacular from where we were standing on the Jura shore.

- Nick 8)

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:01 pm

I've been through a number of times on the ebb with no real issues, and once against the first hour of the flood which I got away with but wouldn't deliberately try again. Beware the ticks in the Glen of Pigs.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I wonder if there are any pigs in the Glen of Ticks......
Lovely pics - being a tad critical, if I may - one notices that one has no mainsail raised. I thought a yachtmaster like yourself might have taken the precaution of hoisting it. Whilst I realise there is little breeze in the first pic, the way you always go banging on on about "proper" sailing and how the Albin Vagina sails like a dream - I thought you might have it up - so to speak - in case yer donk blobbed.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Your point re. sails is a good one, but on the good ship Fairwinds we can make good speed on any point of sail under genoa alone, so could be under sail in less than 30 seconds in the event of sudden donk death.

The mainsail has the cover off and takes less than 90 seconds to raise.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:58 pm

I shall sleep easier knowing all is under control and that method statements are in place for all aspects
Regards
Claymore

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Nick wrote:.
We went through for the first time in September this year and anchored overnight in Bàgh Gleann nam Muc (the Bay of the Glen of Pigs)

It was slack water neaps and all was quiet . . . we walked over later to watch at the height of the ebb, but the whirlpool wasn't spectacular from where we were standing on the Jura shore.

They are the best pics I have seen so far of the area.
Looks very serene in them.
Is that Colonsay/Oransay to the left of your forestay in 2nd pic? and is that a white Finnicle or Pinnicle to SB in the same pic? :)
We may well be in and around that area next season and I fancy hooking down in Bacon cove and having a wander about, I'll keep a ciggy burning to kill the ticks.
Thanks for pics.
C_W

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:They are the best pics I have seen so far of the area.
Looks very serene in them.
Is that Colonsay/Oransay to the left of your forestay in 2nd pic? and is that a white Finnicle or Pinnicle to SB in the same pic? :)
We may well be in and around that area next season and I fancy hooking down in Bacon cove and having a wander about, I'll keep a ciggy burning to kill the ticks.
Thanks for pics.
C_W

Yes, that's Colonsay, but the white bit is just a wee wave.

The ticks are horrendous - Kathy and I had more than 20 each when we got home.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 pm

If that was 20 ticks out of 20 then that is a very good score Nick, well done to both of you.
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 am

I've been through a couple of times. Made sure it was on the last of the tide on a calm and settled forecast but even then it was a weird bit of water with different water levels visible as we were went through. Feeling the boat being tugged and nudged by the currents was spooky.

While I was building mah hoose I lived in a caravan overlooking the Corry and quite often you could hear its roar and watch the endless line of breaking white water..

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:00 am

Re Eamonns question, the first time we went through was in our shipman28 in company with a moody31 and a halmatic30.
There wasn't anything much exciting during the trip through and I found myself chasing whirlies just to see what would happen- the standing wave was lying down at the time.
However, as we approached the Garvallochs, the halmatic was lifted half out of the water - we could see a huge amount of antifoul - nothing happened to the other two boats.
The 'Great Race' (as marked on your CMap) is more interesting at that time of the tide.
I guess it must have caught us up and really started flowing once we were clear of Jura.
We have had the twitchy experience of being sucked in backwards when our engine died while motoring down the inside about level with Craignish point. It took about 20 mins to identify and clear a filter and four hours to get back to the point of failure -in an under-engined ericson39. ( glassy smooth weather before all the IOR boys ask why we didn't just sail)
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Passages and Places”