Loch Etive

Tell us where you've been, trade information
cpedw

Loch Etive

Postby cpedw » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:02 pm

I'm planning a passage into Loch Etive this summer. I'm looking for information about the clearance under electric wires at Bonawe. The chart shows a minimum clearance of 12m but the pilot (by Martin Lawrence) says there is more near the north shore. Does anyone know how much more? My boat needs 14.5m.
Any comments welcome! Thanks,
Derek

cpedw

Loch Etive

Postby cpedw » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:15 am

I am now in a position to answer my own question. I went up to the head of Loch Etive in mid July. The trip is quite interesting though there's not very good anchorage at the head.

The nervous bit was passing under the cable at Bonawe. I found that the charted clearance is 13m, not 12m as described in the Clyde Cruising Club and Martin Lawrence pilots (but mine are not the latest editions - I could be out of date).
Anyway, at the north side, the cables are substantially higher than the minimum height and the water depth is substantial, 8-10 m about 20m from the shore so anything that fits under Connel bridge (charted clearance 15m) should have no problem at Bonawe provided they stay close to the north side.

Derek

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

That's interesting . . .

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:21 pm

As we are hoping to get up there this seeason.

When you say the anchorage at the head isn't very good, what exactly is wrong with it? Did you find any good anchorages?

- Nick 8)

cpedw

re That's interesting . . .

Postby cpedw » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:25 am

It's very exposed to any SW wind. There's nothing solid to get behind near the head of the loch. But the depth and holding were reasonable in the eastern corner. We investigated the west corner first (I think the pilot recommended it) but for a reason which I can't clearly remember (I think the depth changed too rapidly for comfort) we didn't like it.
There are a couple of bays on the sotheast shore part way up which looked as though they would give better shelter, Glennoe and Inverliver, but we didn't investigate them in detail.

It's very impressive scenery though, well worth a visit.

Derek

Return to “Passages and Places”