Fiddlers ferry (Widnes) to Porto Santo in a Vega

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Fiddlers ferry (Widnes) to Porto Santo in a Vega

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Well . . . turns out he's given up and flogged the boat in Porto Santo after saying a lot of unkind things about the Vega.

We got a lot further, still have the boat and love her to bits.
- Nick 8)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm

sahona wrote:Hope you've planked an extra couple of blankets in the doghouse Eamonn.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Shame, but from reading the blog it seems he didn't enjoy the Vega very much. Each to their own.

Nick- do you find Fairwinds to be very creaky? I have to say ours creaks like a rusty hinge, one of these days I will go around all the bulkheads and tighten up the bolts, I hope that's all it takes to cure it.

The OP did send me a useful email about his experiences of towing the Vega- not terribly encouraging tbh- seems a nice guy anyway.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Fairwinds creaks if she is rolling regularly in big seas. Most of it comes from the ply 'bulkheads' that form the inboard sides of the cockpit lockers, which creak and groan as the hull flexes. Jamming stuff against them can help. Sometimes it got so bad when off watch on Atlantic passages that I wojuld leap out of my bunk and start furiously rummaging around in the starboad locker rearranging everything in an attempt to stop the creaking before going back to bed. Two minutes after I got snuggled back in my bunk it would start up again.

I have to say it needs a decent cross swell before it is annoying though.
- Nick 8)

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Nick wrote:.
Fairwinds creaks if she is rolling regularly in big seas. Most of it comes from the ply 'bulkheads' that form the inboard sides of the cockpit lockers, which creak and groan as the hull flexes. Jamming stuff against them can help. Sometimes it got so bad when off watch on Atlantic passages that I wojuld leap out of my bunk and start furiously rummaging around in the starboad locker rearranging everything in an attempt to stop the creaking before going back to bed. Two minutes after I got snuggled back in my bunk it would start up again.

I have to say it needs a decent cross swell before it is annoying though.

Ye sure it wisnae yer auld joints creaking?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am

wully wrote:
Ye sure it wisnae yer auld joints creaking?

Are ye sure yer not confusin' me with someone else? :goatd
- Nick 8)

farmerboy
Midshipman
Boat Type: Albin vega

Postby farmerboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi all, my sincere apologies for my tardy response to the amusing thread! I ended up in the Caribbean (Grenada) via Cape Verde, after much buggering about and I am now back home in the UK musing on whether to continue or not!
I do not seem to get notifications of posts so I shall check my setting etc...

I have written up most of the trip but I ended up crossing the Atlantic in "brisk" conditions and it was the most tedious and boring event of my life! Boy was I glad to get back on dry land and have a beer!

Anyway - the info is at ..
http://www.albinvega.talktalk.net/Cirrus/Welcome.html - but ran out of web space so the rest is on ..

http://www.tripsailor.com/sailing-blogs ... -can-it-be

I think my yacht (now sold) is still in Madeira - the new owner is installing a new engine.

Regards to all....

John

ps - just checked and it looks like the default setting is not to be notified about any new posts - I have changed the settings.. but not much sailing stuff to write about anyway!

Return to “Passages and Places”