Well here we are

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Well here we are

Postby Fingal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 pm

A very early start from Rosemarkie Bay on Tuesday saw us arrive in Wick 12 hours and - frustratingly for any crew hoping for a Yachtmaster qualifying 60 mile passage - 59.61 miles later. On Wednesday we reached the prescribed point 1M E of Duncansby Heid at 16.35, about 25 minutes ahead of time and enjoyed a rapid, even exhilarating ride up towards Flotta. Conditions were almost ideal with about 10kn of wind from the W allowing us to sail at least some of the way. A night at anchor at Longhope and an easy passage through Gutter Sound and the W end of Scapa Flow saw us arrive at Stromness Marina in Hamnavoe about 10.30 on Thursday. The old boat is holding up well and once we fix the mast track gate we can go sailing again.

Orkney Marinas are a fantastic organisation, volunteer run and extremely welcoming and helpful. Highly recommended.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Well here we are

Postby claymore » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Good going - but I thought it was the new boat....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm

claymore wrote:Good going - but I thought it was the new boat....

Err well yes new to us, but also 30 years old.....
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 am

Green Boat wrote:A very early start from Rosemarkie Bay on Tuesday saw us arrive in Wick 12 hours and - frustratingly for any crew hoping for a Yachtmaster qualifying 60 mile passage - 59.61 miles later.

That's the curse of modern electronics. A proper Walker Knotmaster (some of us still use them) would have given you the 60m. I write as one who, loaned a then-new-fangled electronic barograph while gliding in the Alps, missed the 3000m height gain needed for a gold badge by forty sodding feet.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
Green Boat wrote:A very early start from Rosemarkie Bay on Tuesday saw us arrive in Wick 12 hours and - frustratingly for any crew hoping for a Yachtmaster qualifying 60 mile passage - 59.61 miles later.

That's the curse of modern electronics. A proper Walker Knotmaster (some of us still use them) would have given you the 60m. I write as one who, loaned a then-new-fangled electronic barograph while gliding in the Alps, missed the 3000m height gain needed for a gold badge by forty sodding feet.

Indeed so, I was highly amused when approaching the point of departure E from Duncansby Hd to note a XTE of 6 feet. We do have a Walker Log aboard and at some stage I will compare it with the new fangled device.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Its rhumb line as measured from the chart for qualifying passages, not log miles, otherwise about 12 hours anchored in the Cuan Sound might qualify as one! I don't suppose anyone would mind the roundup anyway :wink:

Is Cherry Ripe still based on the Forth, I was wondering where she was, the last few times I was down there, mid July? Son was participating in a keel boat course, so I was up and down a lot to the Marina.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:07 am

Yes we will be back in the Forth as soon as the Southeasterlies allow. We came down from Kirkwall to Peterheid last night and hope to be back in Port Ed (now there's a sentence you may not have heard before) later this week.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:32 am

Why bother? You'll only get stuck in the mud and/or damaged again if the wind gets above F6. Add to that the filth on the decks from the bridges, the risk of injury if you move your considerable bulk unwisely and, of course, the cheery welcome.
Why not just head west now - you know you want to.

Fingal
Old Salt

Postby Fingal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 pm

marisca wrote:Why bother? You'll only get stuck in the mud and/or damaged again if the wind gets above F6. Add to that the filth on the decks from the bridges, the risk of injury if you move your considerable bulk unwisely and, of course, the cheery welcome.
Why not just head west now - you know you want to.

It's quite an attractive thought, to be sure. From Peterheid we could go either way, indeed the wind is fair for the Caley as I write. However having paid for a berth at Port Ed until March, and with a refit to conduct it is the best option, until we go west in the spring.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Return to “Passages and Places”