Where to this weekend?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Where to this weekend?

Postby mm5aho » Thu May 24, 2012 8:22 pm

First real sail of the year, despite launching weeks back!
So out Sat am, and back Sun pm, winds look to be S - SE?
Beat down the Clyde to Lochranza?
Kyles and overnight in Caladh Harbour?
Up Loch Long and annoy the Coulport water polis?
Tack too close to Faslane and annoy their bored crew?
Millport for the annual Peas and Vinegar?

?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Where to this weekend?

Postby Aja » Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Cove picknick this weekend at Ardentinny - so Loch Long may be a tad busy.
If we get away smartish it might be Lochranza. Anywhere really will do as the winds looks a bit lightish but wall-towall sunshine. Yay!!

Edit - I'm seeing easterlies....

Donald

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Fri May 25, 2012 12:30 am

mm5aho wrote:
?

Bute Folk Festival? http://www.buterainbowfestival.com/

but be aware that CCC have a ladies race and muster at Port Bannatyne on Sat.

Ash - Working on Sunday but hoping to daysail on Sat
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sun May 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Can't remember having such a sunny weekends sailing in Scotland in 19 years here.
Down the Clyde, up the east Kyle and overnighted in Caladh Harbour.
Interesting diversion when there was a metallic thump in the night. I normall wrap a cloth round the chain through the fairlead to stop chain slap side to side, so I thought to get up and fix it.
I was surprised to find it was another boat, and we were kissing pulpits! Nose to nose!
By this time the rest were awake, and the occupants of the other boat also clambering out of their slumber.
We'd put down a trip buoy on our anchor, so fearing lest this get round the other boats prop (he appeared to be right over our anchor), we walked his boat to our stern after his anchor was fully up, and then let it drift back on a rope to our stern. We must have dragged too, after the boats were together.
We then weighed our anchor and pulled in the trip rope, which had not fouled. We were both drifting our of harbour towards the Maids of Bute. So, both boats safely under control, each found a new anchoring spot and settled back for the remaining 2 hours of darkness.
Next morning, we were plesantly surprised by a visit presenting a bottle. Refusal denied, the gift was for being there in the way. If they'd not hit us, they might have quietly drifted, hook hanging in deep water ritgh across to Bute and fetched up under the Maids or thereabouts.

So, an enjoyable 2 days and an interesting diversion in the night.

I'd had trouble in Caladh before with anchor sticking in the rocky bottom (south end ) hence the trip. The wind was very variable during the night, and the grumble of the chain ratteling round on the bottom was heard much of the night.
Also, during breakfast we saw what I assume is a mink on the rocks on the little island. Sleek pitch black, skinny thing.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Passed by Caladh late on Saturday afternoon and decided it was a bit busy and headed across to Fearnoch Bay, Very gusty till about 03:00 then the wind switched off, Perfect peace!

Donald

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Mon May 28, 2012 12:32 am

mm5aho wrote:Also, during breakfast we saw what I assume is a mink on the rocks on the little island. Sleek pitch black, skinny thing.

We saw a mink too, last Wednesday afternoon while anchoring by Eilean nan Eildean in the west entrance to L Teacus.Do you suppose it was the same one? It matched your description exactly. :wink:

I've never seen one before.

Derek

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Mon May 28, 2012 4:24 pm

mm5aho wrote:Also, during breakfast we saw what I assume is a mink on the rocks on the little island. Sleek pitch black, skinny thing.

I've had a few nights in the wee boat on Loch Ken recently, There has been an otter playing around, which is nice.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Return to “Passages and Places”