Loch Coruisk?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Loch Coruisk?

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Thinking about a cruise destination for next season and fancy Skye, with Loch Scavaig as first anchorage in order to have a look at Loch Coruisk and maybe wet a fly in it.
Have any of you been to the above fresh water loch via anchoring in Scavaig?
I wouldent mind some advice and any pics.
I would like to then continue up sleat, Rhea and Lochalsh up as far as Portree.
Dont know if this cruise is a bit ambitious from the Clyde in an 10-12 day round trip run, what does the board think?
Shard or DaveS you guys sound as if you are familier with that area.
C_W

fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Sun Odyssey 40.3

Re: Loch Coruisk?

Postby fairy nuff » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 pm

Never been to Loch Coruisk, but I went from Kip to Lochboisdale via the Mull, round Skye and back to Kip through the Canal once in nine days in 1988. So it can be done. It was a lot of fun, but not terribly restful as I recall. Boat was a Sadler 34. I think the log was written up in the CCC mag of the time.

From memory, the route was Kip to Gigha, Gigha to Tobermory, Tobermory to Lochboisdale via Canna, Lochboisdale to Lochmaddy, Lochmaddy to Plockton, Plockton to Tobermory, Tobermory to Craobh, Craobh to Tarbert via the Crinan Canal, Tarbert to Kip

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 pm

fairy nuff wrote:Never been to Loch Coruisk, but I went from Kip to Lochboisdale via the Mull, round Skye and back to Kip through the Canal once in nine days in 1988. So it can be done. It was a lot of fun, but not terribly restful as I recall. Boat was a Sadler 34. I think the log was written up in the CCC mag of the time.

From memory, the route was Kip to Gigha, Gigha to Tobermory, Tobermory to Lochboisdale via Canna, Lochboisdale to Lochmaddy, Lochmaddy to Plockton, Plockton to Tobermory, Tobermory to Craobh, Craobh to Tarbert via the Crinan Canal, Tarbert to Kip

Well that was a very fast time but a ball park figure to work on for a start.
You must have been lucky with the weather, had no time to visit or do any touristy stuff, visited not many pubs,long passages, and a fast boat.
Any night passages?
In that case I better double that time and make it 18-20 days to allow for unfair weather, recreation time, sleeping, touristy stuff, Oh, and a bit of fly fishing.
Thanks C_W

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Loch Scavaig is a nice spot to anchor - as long as a blustery breeze isn't slamming down off the Cuillins...

And there aren't any smelly climbers in the bothy.

There is a path along the side of Loch Coruisk and on a sunny day it is a really nice peaceful place to be in between the tourist boat landings.
One time I was there and a small herd of deer came down to the waters edge to eat seaweed.

Watch out for the rock in the middle of the passage into the anchorage...

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Loch Scavaig is a fine spot provided, as others have said, the down drafts aren't doing their thing. The path round to Coruisk is straightforward, with a bit of boulder hopping if the river is up. There is a path which lets you circle Loch Coruisk, or you can go over the very scenic path to Sligachan for a pint. Other options involve scrambling at least.

The building overlooking the anchorage is not an open bothy but a locked climbing club hut. I last visited last year, coinciding with my mountaineering club's meet at the hut. Two reasonable days each trip there and back from Craobh, stopping off at Tobermory.

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:09 pm

DaveS wrote:
The building overlooking the anchorage is not an open bothy but a locked climbing club hut.

Yeah, I know. And it should stay locked after the attitude displayed by the smelly climbers who sneered at one of my crew who had spent a lot of her free time painting and repairing that bothy simply because this time she had sailed in instead of tramping there.

Note- these rufty tuffty mountain men said not a word to me but picked on a lone female.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Can't really comment without knowing more.

While walking in is certainly possible (the shortest route is from Elgol via the "bad step") I think most clubs now take the tourist boat, so not really so different from yachties. :)

The hut is only available to clubs or individuals affiliated to the MC of S, so reporting bad behaviour should be fairly straightforward. Did you get the name of the club involved? Alternatively, if you know the date(s) it should be fairly easy to find out.

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:04 pm

DaveS wrote:Can't really comment without knowing more.

While walking in is certainly possible (the shortest route is from Elgol via the "bad step") I think most clubs now take the tourist boat, so not really so different from yachties. :)

The hut is only available to clubs or individuals affiliated to the MC of S, so reporting bad behaviour should be fairly straightforward. Did you get the name of the club involved? Alternatively, if you know the date(s) it should be fairly easy to find out.

Did think about it as one of my pals is in the MCS but these peeps were not at all representative of climbers as a whole- apart from the whiff of Kendal Mint Cake and rancid boots :shock:

I'm looking forward to going back there again as it must be one of the nicest spots to anchor.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks for the advice on climbers and smelly bots/boots :lol:
Now back to the passage plan, is it withen two days sailing from Crinnan given fair weather and tides?
TA, C_W

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Thanks for the advice on climbers and smelly bots/boots :lol:
Now back to the passage plan, is it withen two days sailing from Crinnan given fair weather and tides?
TA, C_W

Yes, two fairly full days should be fine, unless you get head winds. We managed it last year in two days of 8.5 hrs each starting from Craobh, and Crinan's not much further. Depending on when you get out of the canal (assuming you're going that way) and with a favourable tide, it might be worth making use of the remaining daylight to press on a bit. There are quite a few handy anchorages past the tidal gates e.g. Black Isles, Loch Spelve, or Puildobhraoin which would allow you to make an early start next day regardless of tide. Apart from the entrance, the tide in the Sound of Mull isn't strong enough to stop progress. Then, unless a stop at Tob is a must, if daylight allows you might be able to get further on: Kilchoan, Sanna Bay, or even Muck.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:18 pm

The mud is rather black and smelly in Scavaig - you'd better have a bucket of water handy when you raise the anchor
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks Dave,I would probably head for Tobermoray from Crinan and would hope to make Scavaig the second day.
Thanks Claymore, I usually carry a bucket so if the ocasion arises I can feed the fish in a more controlled manner and equal portions. :oops:
C_W

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 am

A couple of years back we made it from Mallaig to Ardfern in one long day so two days to Skye should be plenty. (40 Ft boat)

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 am

wully wrote:A couple of years back we made it from Mallaig to Ardfern in one long day so two days to Skye should be plenty. (40 Ft boat)

I made it from Peel to Loch Caolisport in one day once. Unfortunately we were actually trying to get to Crinan: the pair on night watch took a wrong turning at Point of Knap.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Loch Scavaig to Loch Coruisk, 10 minutes easy walk.

Loch Coruisk

Looking South out over the outer part of Scavaig

If you are thinking of going as far as Portree then go the extra bit to Acerseid Mhor on the Isle of Rona. It must be on the west coast's list of "ten places to see before you die", as is L. Scavaig.

I understand there has lately been some controversy about pontoon charges at Rona, but I don't know the details of this................in fact it may not even have been Rona

Return to “Passages and Places”