Anchors v. Moorings

Tell us where you've been, trade information
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Anchors v. Moorings

Postby marisca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 am

The Rona posts raise a query in my mind - perhaps the brains of the forum can advise? If 2 boats anchor it is incumbent upon the 2nd one dropping its hook to keep clear of the 1st - that's nice and clear. If a boat drops her anchor amongst unoccupied visitors' moorings is it then up to any later arrival to keep clear or are visitors' moorings like towels on hotel loungers, bagging the space?

sam
Master Mariner

Re: Anchors v. Moorings

Postby sam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

Would you want to drop your anchor amongst visitor moorings and the associated ground tackle?

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:17 am

sam wrote:Would you want to drop your anchor amongst visitor moorings and the associated ground tackle?

Given the number of times I have caught errant ropes and chains when there are no floating indicators, I can't say it would worry me unduly and I might even use a tripping line. However, apart from the matter of wisdom, I am interested in knowing if by laying unallocated moorings, particularly in a charted anchoring area, the layer has gained any rights

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:41 pm

marisca wrote:The Rona posts raise a query in my mind - perhaps the brains of the forum can advise? If 2 boats anchor it is incumbent upon the 2nd one dropping its hook to keep clear of the 1st - that's nice and clear. If a boat drops her anchor amongst unoccupied visitors' moorings is it then up to any later arrival to keep clear or are visitors' moorings like towels on hotel loungers, bagging the space?

The swinging circle of a boat on a mooring is pretty small - I would never anchor in a position that would render a mooring unuseable.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Passages and Places”