Campbeltown Pontoons

Tell us where you've been, trade information
ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Campbeltown Pontoons

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Nick wrote:
ubergeekian wrote:I wouldn't be too sure about that. They seem to want their quid from those who walk straight past the water tap.

If you walk past the water tap then you have come ashore via the pontoon and therefore owe £1. Of course, if you can't afford it then you are free to scramble up the seaweed-covered rocks to save a pound.

What was there before the pontoon was put in? If it was the only reasonable landing place other than seaweed covered rocks, I certainly wouldn't feel remotely obliged to hand over a pound.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Nick wrote:Of course, if you can't afford it then you are free to scramble up the seaweed-covered rocks to save a pound.

Good.

Some people like to clamber over rocks.

Some people like to have pontoons laid on.

We're all different, and long may it be so.

(Me? I like rocks.)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
What was there before the pontoon was put in? If it was the only reasonable landing place other than seaweed covered rocks, I certainly wouldn't feel remotely obliged to hand over a pound.

Sorry, but that is just wrong. The people that live on Rona and try to make a living there deserve a little more respect. I suggest you simply don't go there. Your attitude is exactly the reason that perfectly reasonable people prickle at the mention of yachties.
- Nick 8)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:16 am

I'm unclear about the pontoon costs.
Has it become a "toll pontoon" so if you were using the laundry you would have to pay every time you went up and down? or is it a token contribution - like £1 a day for as many trips as neccessary?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:35 am

sahona wrote:I'm unclear about the pontoon costs.
Has it become a "toll pontoon" so if you were using the laundry you would have to pay every time you went up and down? or is it a token contribution - like £1 a day for as many trips as neccessary?

It's a one-off contribution very politely requested by very nice people who offer a landing pontoon, good tracks to walk on, friendly chat and a range of services (showers, fresh local produce to buy etc) should you be so inclined. They refer to it as 'harbour dues'. We felt it was a very reasonable request and were more than happy to make a token contribution to the economy of this remote and fragile place.
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:15 pm

I dug out a photo of the pontoon as it was in 2008.

(Yes, we've clearly used the pontoon.)

ubergeekian
Old Salt

Postby ubergeekian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Nick wrote:
ubergeekian wrote:

Sorry, but that is just wrong. The people that live on Rona and try to make a living there deserve a little more respect. I suggest you simply don't go there. Your attitude is exactly the reason that perfectly reasonable people prickle at the mention of yachties.

There was a honking big "If" in there, and it's on that that I base my views. If there was one landing place and someone stuck a pontoon there expecting to grab a quid from everyone who landed then my attitude would be "screw 'em". If, on the other hand, it was all seaweed covered rocks before then I'd pay my quid willingly and thankfully. So which was it?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor

ubergeekian
Old Salt

Postby ubergeekian » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Mark wrote:I dug out a photo of the pontoon as it was in 2008.

(Yes, we've clearly used the pontoon.)

OK, I should have read this far before my previous reply. Yes, that's clearly a quid's worth.

Return to “Passages and Places”